1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to TV (Plasma) Converter

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by selector, Sep 12, 2004.

1. selector

selector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My first posting...so go easy!

I am looking for a converter that will convert a VGA signal to either SCART or S-Video so I can run through PowerPoint presentations on my 42"plasma TV. I assume that converting to S-video will produce a sharper image - correct?

I have been looking at one of these: http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept%5Fid=104&sku=677

Has anyone had any experiences with this or other devices such as this?

Thanks!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Selector,

No, the opposite, you'll get a greatly poorer quality signal. Where analogue signals are concerned, the highest quality is component (aka. Y, Cb, Cr) which is what you use ideally to connect something like a DVD player to a plasma .. a better option is digital but that's not relevent here.

After component is R,G,B, which is what a VGA signal is .. the quality I believe is the same since both carry each colour component separately thus retaining fidelity. After these comes S-Video and finally composite .. there's a big drop in quality between each of these .. S-Video only carries two signals so the third colour is 'deduced' by the display and so leads to quality reduction, while Composite encodes all three colours into one signal causing the greatest degradation.

So if your plasma display can take component or RGB then that's the best solution, maybe using an RGB->YCbCr (RGB->Component) convertor. I don't have experience of this sort of signal conversion so I'm afraid I can't offer a suggestion of a device to do this, but places where you get RGB->S-Video convertors would also be likely sources for RGB->Component ones I'd have thought.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi selector and welcome :hiya:

What plasma do you have? We can then have a look at the available connections (let us know the ones you have already used) and then can advise you on the best connection method.

Yes VGA is RGB based connection, but it is RGBHV where a standard scart connection is RGBs (I think). There are several different versions of RGB and they are not directly compatable with each other. My plasma has a VGA input and a RGBHV RCA input board that can also be configured for other versions of RGB or YUV and you may well find that yours has similar connections. If this is the case then all you will need is the correct lead and no converters which should save you some money.

Mark.

4. selector

selector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. selector

selector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: