1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to tv convertor? hurt tv res?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oxygenuk, Jun 13, 2005.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi ive been looking at this http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/cata...d=1014&zenid=c4348df3140e97df2b026b9e91f389b3 as a cheaper way of seeing my media on my television set which is a 28" philips 50hz widescreen, i know if you connect a video cable direct from your pc to the tv it harms your tv's resolution apparently as it has to stretch the image, but whats the deal with these convertors? would it be the same or would it be like viewing anything else on my tv?

thanks.

2. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Few, if any companies offer any 'decent' consumer VGA to tv converters.
    Even the one that makes the xbox tv chip, (focus enhancements) offers a card that limits output quality to s-video and even then has macro cision.
    But many them do tend to limit the output quality and offer s-video as the best compromise. Many only have composite.
    There all **** scared of law suits from copying.

However, S-video is ok, with a good card and cable its good enough to make it watchable. I play dvd output through an old sigma type xcard, and the picture is stunning. But its no good for general pc stuff or even divx. Some might think so.

There is a lot of talk on the home made vga - rgb scart cable, but not something I've been brave enough to try. So saving for a plasma which should end the problem....or start a new one.