1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to TV converters

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mjvdvlugt, Aug 31, 2004.

1. mjvdvlugt

mjvdvlugt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a quality difference between a video-card TV-Out and those PC->TV converters?

My pc has an on-board video-card (and: no AGP slot) but I do need a tv-out to build my HTPC!

Does anyone have experience with those VGA to TV converters? And do they give good output when playing the interlaced video's my tv-card produces?

2. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had a few of these boxes ranging from corded to cordless and i have not been very happy with them the cordless one was the best but you can see a slight flicker which annoyed the crap out of me if you could have got rid of this they would been semi acceptable

3. mjvdvlugt

mjvdvlugt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. That's good.. Did you have good video playback? Like DVD?

4. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it made the MPeg artifacts more apparent and like i said the flickering was not good

5. mjvdvlugt

mjvdvlugt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info! I'm gonna buy one!

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Am I reading the same thread here? Everything Cowtipper has said suggests buying one is a bad idea doesn't it?

Cheers
    Marc

7. mjvdvlugt

mjvdvlugt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. I meant it like: "Thanks for the info!"

The backgroundstory is that I heard somewhere animated output would become a mess, and that those converters were only good for static things (presentations etc.).

But now I know that's not true, and it could be acceptible I'm going to the shop with my laptop to try it out. So by "buying one" i meant: go to the shop and hope to buy one.

If anyone has some more experience to tell me beforehand I really would like to know.

Thanx!

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I assume we are talking about CRT TVs not LCD/Plasma TVs?

If this is the case then the best TV output I have got is by using a Realmagic Xcard.

The limitation of this is that it only outputs video and not a PC Desktop.

However you can use it with Joveplayer, now called TVedia or something like that and you get a whole media centre interface for video, music the web etc. A really impressive piece of software that works great with the Xcard and a TV. (The Xcard coms with a remote). Go to www.8dim.com to find out more.

Cheers
    Marc

9. alfaman

alfaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got an RGB SCART and can solder ......

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/index.html

Try a DIY solution - do be careful about setting your refresh rates I'd look at creating a monitor definition file set up to prevent you doing something you might regret (limit resolutions and refresh rates. Have a look at powerstrip.

Simon