1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to RGB SCART convertor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by s_tether, Jan 21, 2003.

1. s_tether

s_tether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone know where I can get a VGA to RGB SCART convertor to connect PC monitor output to RGB SCART on TV?:confused:

2. GPMCDERM

GPMCDERM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TRY WWW.LEKTROPACKS.CO.UK
    I'M AFTER ORDERING ONE FOR £49 SO I CAN USE DIGIBOX,GAMECUBE ON MY PROJECTOR.
    HAVEN'T GOT IT YET SO CAN'T SAY IF ITS ANYGOOD OR NOT.

3. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look at this web site
    www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk

he does something called a plasma vga. Allot of the guys on the Plasma/lcd forum use these to connect our sky/dvd players to the plasma screens.

4. s_tether

s_tether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for repliying but I need it the other way round,
    ie VGA from PC to RGB SCART on TV.

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking for this. Everyone seems to be outputting to exotic display systems, but us lesser mortals who can only use a standard TV are struggling with the TV-Out of the video card :(

Any help would be appreciated as to obtaining the best picture quality on a standard TV with a HCPC.

Cheers, Beastie.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm pretty sure you can't get a cable that will go from a VGA RGBHV 15pin D-sub to RGBS SCART. You would need a down convertor and these only usually only ouput s-video at best. You'd be better of getting a video card with s-video output, if you don't already have one.

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Just to add to Richards comments..... the vga output from the video card cannot be directly fed to a tv unless the tv can scan to ~30/32kHz and can accept a non-interlaced picture (i.e progressive scan pal or ntsc) like a Loewe or some of the new Toshiba sets. A regular tv only operates at ~15kHz with an interlaced picture. You can buy video to tv converters but you'll probably be best with a video card that has an s-video or composite output.

Brian

8. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

My AIW Radeon will outut S-Video at 800x600. The later cards can do 1024x768 (although I believe there are overscan issues). Would there be any improvement in outputting 1024x768 on a regular TV via S-Video?

Cheers, Beastie.

9. s_tether

s_tether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Beastie,

I suspect that the best you can do will be around 800x600. That's probably due to the 'proximity' of that resolution to the vertical pal resolution (~580 visible lines). Video card resolutions above this (e.g. 1024x768) will be scaled down by the card to a 'tv' output which will fit with what the tv can accept. I'd expect that the s-video output from your card is relatively 'fixed' and you probably won't see much (or any) change in the tv picture as you increase the 'computer' resolution. There may be some computer resolutions where the downscaling (if it is actually downscaled) is a 'multiple' of the tv output and might result in a 'better' picture...give it a try and see.
    Ultimately, the horizontal 'resolution' will be set by the effective 'dot-pitch' on your tv and it's likely to be less than your computer monitor.

Brian