VGA to HDMI ?

Stephen Wilde

Established Member
Reaction score
My office monitor has VGA, Scart and HDMI inputs but no DVI. The rather old computer just has VGA output.

The VGA resolution options do not make full use of the display resolution so I wish to use the HDMI input.

There are adapters to convert the VGA signal to DVI and which can then be attached to a DVI to HDMI cable via a DVI gender adapter but will it work bearing in mind that VGA is analogue and HDMI is digital ?

Completely depends on the circumstances. For what it's worth, I tried connecting my Xbox 360 via a simple VGA-DVI gender changer to the DVI port on my Bush LCD TV, and it wasn't having any of it. Shame too :(

Maplin's FAQs on the webpage said that this could be done, but I'm guessing it assumes that the DVI/HDMI port can accept an analogue signal to begin with, and it doesn't look like my TV does. Think your DVI port needs to accept DVI-A

No, it won't work for the reason you stated.

The only option other than expensive conversion would be to pick up a different graphics card with DVI output which would then work with the HDMI.

For clarification HDMI sockets won't do any analogue signals and only DVI-I sockets will, not DVI-D. There's also DVI-A but never seen that used on anythng.

Thanks for the prompt advice. I think I'll replace the ancient computer with one which has a DVI graphics card.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom