VGA to Component?

Nik73

Distinguished Member
From what I've been reading, and thanks to the unusual resolution, it's a bit problematic to get a good PC picture on the Panny PX80B using a VGA connection (Powerstrip and a lot of fiddling is required). The problem is a lot my HD viewing is from my PC (currently hooked up to a 720p projector) which only has a VGA output.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of a VGA to Component cable like this one?

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/component-vga-hd15-1.html

I'm assuming if I set the PC resolution to 1280 x 720 then will produce a 720p signal. Seems a lot simpler to me or am I missing something? I know they're both analogue signals but do I need some kind of convertor box as well?

Thanks in advance.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Only a few old graphics cards allow you to use a cable like that. You will most likely need a VGA to component converter.

Brooktop

I have one of these types of cable which was used to feed a signal to my PWD6 from a DVD recorder - but it cost me a lot more than that! I got it for £75 from Keane Electronics and I think they make them specially.

The PQ is absolutely excellent - equally as good as HDMI connectors I've seen. I'm not actually using it anymore because I have a component terminal board and my PWD6 has been demoted to conservatory duties, so is just fed via component to a DVD player via component and phono (for the audio).

Whoops...Just realised, you want it the other way round! Unless, they go 2 way!

Nik73

Distinguished Member
It's an ATI mobility X1400 in my laptop (hence the no upgrade). Thanks for the quick replies guys! :smashin:

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Thanks Andy, the manual isn't much use unfortunately but on the ATI site for the X1400 it says "YPrPb component output for direct drive of HDTV displays" near the bottom.

X1400 Specs

I'm a bit confused by that. Does that mean the cable should work or that there may be an X1400 with standard component ports?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
From that info still not sure, normally on agraphics card you will end up with a socket that looks like S-Video but is more and via an adapter you get the three component outputs. I have not seen it implemented on a laptop before, but there is always a first time.

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Ahhhh thanks Andy, I've checked and my laptop has a 7 pin s-video port which, from this page, seems to say exactly what you are. Sorry to be simple, but is this what you meant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

So it seems I've been barking up the wrong tree! I just need to find an s-video to component adapter?
Thanks again Andy, I think you've just swung it for me getting the tv. :thumbsup:

edit: There's plenty of adapters around but it does say that just because the laptop has a 7 pin s-video doesn't mean it can output component. However, given what it says on the ati website the X1400 is.......... right? Sorry to be a pain.

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that Boris, a little concerning that the X1400, or any of the X series, are not mentioned on there though. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom