VGA to Component Transcoder question

CodeThief

Does it pass through a prog scan picture if the PC is set to display one or will it interlace it in the conversion?

Dave

KraGorn

Novice Member
AFAIK a converter is purely an electronic processor, it neither knows nor cares what sort of information is encoded in the signals it converts.

K

Kramer

Yep, you should have progressive component from a (PC) VGA source.

:smoke:

CodeThief

Thats brill, screw all this RGB VGA cable problems and svideo, I'm getting one of those :D

Dave

KraGorn

Novice Member
Of course, you can always select Interlaced from the PC is you have a need. :)

owain_thomas

Hi code thief, are you thinking of doing this into your tosh TV? I've got a radeon dvi-component dongle on order from the US at the moment (about £25 incl shipping), I'll let you know how I get on if you like. This method should give better PQ than a transcoder but may be more difficult to configure (or so I've read), any way its a lot cheaper than a decent transcoder so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

CodeThief

Originally posted by owain_thomas
Hi code thief, are you thinking of doing this into your tosh TV? I've got a radeon dvi-component dongle on order from the US at the moment (about £25 incl shipping), I'll let you know how I get on if you like. This method should give better PQ than a transcoder but may be more difficult to configure (or so I've read), any way its a lot cheaper than a decent transcoder so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Exactly that but I only have the Radeon 9200SE and I don't think this can use the dongle, only the 9500+

Dave

owain_thomas

might be cheaper to get a 9600SE and a dongle than a transcoder, whats your timescale on this? if you want to wait I'll let you know how it goes with mine and then you can decide.

Owain

CodeThief

Yep no rush :)

I'd be interested to hear :)

Dave

owain_thomas

Hi codethief,

just to let you know, I've got the dvi to hdtv adapter from america, came about 5 days after they sent it (not bad for about £4). followed the simple instructions, worked first time. set the resolution to 856x480 to get a widescreen 480p picture. looks great except that it's badly overscanned (missing about 5-10% off each edge).

Any way, long story short, playing about with powerstrip I managed to get the picutre perfect, I am now sitting in my living room typing this on my 36" TV :)

The picture is way better than even an RGB connection via scart or the 480i image from my xbox via component. Definitely recommend it, you can get one of the dongles from http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html for £26 delivered in a week or less. A radeon 9600SE can be had for about £45 and the picture is perfect.

If you decide to go down this route then let me know, I'll send you the timings for powerstrip so that you can set it up quickly.

HTH
Owain

CodeThief

Nice one mate I was hoping you'd reply :)

What about a PAL res?

Dave

owain_thomas

Not tried it yet, will give a it a go later and let you know. the thing thats putting me off is that it will have to be interlaced on my set as it only does NTSC progressive, still I'll let you know.

Owain

CodeThief

Ahh I see, not sure how you'd be able to check that for me then. Oh well thats brill thanks :)

Dave

S

Spaced

This is quite interesting...

owain - how did you get on with running it at NTSC prog scan?

owain_thomas

Hi spaced,

got on fine with ntsc prog, now running a custom version of 856x480p as my desktop, has no real underscan/overscan.

here's the timings for powerstrip if you need them:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
856x480=856,64,56,136,480,22,6,49,35089,272

Generic timing details for 856x480:
HFP=64 HSW=56 HBP=136 kHz=32 VFP=22 VSW=6 VBP=49 Hz=57

Linux modeline parameters:
"856x480" 35.089 856 920 976 1112 480 502 508 557 +hsync +vsync

Just copy and paste that lot in if you want to try it (obviously it'll only work if you have the same TV, might be a good starting point if not). Great for desktop, but there's still minor stutter when watching video, I'm working on this at the moment

Hope this helps, got to say it was all a lot easier than I expected, just plug the adapter in and away you go.

HTH
owain

S

Spaced

That's great - I have a G400 running a framebuffer linux console at the moment, but I'm going to be helping a friend build a box soonish, and if the outcome of using a 9600 and this adaptor is good enough, then I might switch myself.

His TV runs 480p in NTSC, so hopefully this will be perfect.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom