1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA switchers

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philipb, Mar 31, 2003.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have two scart sources I want to feed into my plasma VGA input. Instead of using a scart switcher, are there any VGA switching units which would work?

I have tried a Belkin unit designed to hook up 2 PCs to one monitor and it produced severe signal degradation.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I'd think that Extron or Altinex will do a suitable device.

Key Digital do a thing called FLASH4 that will work but that you might find too expensive. The first one has just arrived from US today in fact and is to be installed in a system soon. You can read about it on switcher section in sale section of my website.

Gordon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    philipb

You could use a Kramer VS-2053 3:1 RGBHV/Component switcher or try the less expensive VP-31 3:1 VGA switcher.

The VP-31 is a half width 1U enclosure with front panel controls and HD15 Pin on the inputs and outputs - though please note I've never used this to switch an RGBHV signal from a video source.

The VS-2053 is a 19" 1U rack mount enclosure with BNC connectors and exceeds 400mhz so wont give you the signal degradation problems you had with the Belkin unit.

The VS-2053 has front panel controls or RS232 and can be set to vertical interval or delayed switching.

Give me a call if you want a firm price and availability on either item - though expect to have around £420+vat in the piggy bag for a VS-2053 and around £230 + vat for the VP-3.

Best regards

Joe

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks guys - I'll check it out.

I could route the second scart via a component converter and switch using the amp, but the scart-vga definitely gives better PQ on the 433 than scart-component.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Probably better to use a SCART switch, even the manual one from Argos will give excellent results (that's what my customers tell me). Other alternatives are to try to cascade your two SCART sources. As an example, I've got Sky feeding the DVD recorder which is then connected via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to the screen. And before that, I've got the XBox going in to Sky - three RGB sources in to the one Plasma VGA unit!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    John

Thanks - the cascade is not an option for me for reasons I won't bore you with.

Joe - The Kramer VP-31 looks to be the job, but having downloaded the manual it is not clear that it could handle a signal from one of JS's converters. It only purports to handle PC video signals. Any chance you could try one out feeding the signal from one of John's magic boxes into a 433? - or send me one on sale or return and I'll do a rigorous user evaluation test for you!!