1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA switcher

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by frank.leggett, May 23, 2004.

1. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in getting a RGB2VGA converter for my Panasonic PW6 to improve the picture from Sky. The problem I have is that I already have a computer hooked up to the VGA input as well as Sky to the RGB input and a DVD to the Component input and a PS2 to the Comp Vid input. What I'm looking for is a RGB2VGA converter that passes VGA for the computer. I have tried a Avermedia tuner box designed for a PC monitor but you have to set it to 800X600 resolution which doesn't improve the picture and also gives a reduced frame rate. When set to 640X480 mode the picture sync got messed up leaving picture split in the middel with the left hand half in the right hand side of the screen and visa versa. What I saw of the picture was a huge improvement over the Scart input and also had no judder. I hope this makes sense. In summary I am looking for something like the JS RGB2VGA convertor but still leaves me able to connect up the Computer.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The device you're looking for is a KVM switch, keboard, video, mouse switch. There are many on the market and I'm sure they'd be fine.

There are also manual switches which should be excellent. Try www.dabs.com and www.insight.com/uk And I also believe there's other retailers who support these groups which have solutions too.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. I have just got a KVM switch and have tested it on the plasma but there is a fault. When the intial bios screen and Windows startup message comes on everything is fine but when the windows runs there is no signal. Is this someting to do with the refresh rate or the resolution be uncompatible with a KVM. The resolution is 848X480 and the refresh rate is 75 (Nvidia card) running on Windows XP Pro.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can you try it at different resolutions? I'm wondering if because it's a non-standard resolution.

All the best,

John.

5. frank.leggett

frank.leggett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. the problem was with the graphics card driver. I installed it on Sunday rebooted and everything was fine. Today the computer just hung up. After rolling back to the previous driver everything is now fine the the KVM passes the computer through to the plasma without any problems. Just waiting now for the RGB2VGA convertor which I sent the cheque off today and fingers crossed I shall soon have improved pictures from my SKY box and the computer still attached to the plasma.

Frank