• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VGA splitter help

DYeomans11

Standard Member
I have looked over the internet for a answer to my problem but everyone recommends £200+ pieces of equipment to do the job. Basically I have a lot of computer monitors that will be for sale. I want to connect all these monitors to one PC and play a slideshow on repeat on all the screens (so they all display the same image) My plan is to get a 4 way VGA splitter and split them up, however I will have more than 4 screens so on each splitter i was going to connect one output to a new splitter box input if that makes sense. So in a splitter I will have 3 monitors and another splitter box coming off the 4 outputs. Would this work or would it be too much? Or does anybody else have a better cost effective method? I am looking to get something like this.
4 Way SVGA VGA Signal Splitter Boost Box - 1 Computer to 4 Monitors Screens LCDS | eBay

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Use a splitter with zero gain - no boost, and you should be OK.

There will be degradation, so use the lowest resolution you can get away with and avoid strong adjacent colours, as there will possibly be bleed, particularly with fine lines.

Use decent cables, as poor connectors on VGA cause reflections, leading to an even worse image, with ghosting on vertical lines.

You may also need to spend some time tweaking brightness to get them all the same, as there no doubt will be some gain changes through the daisy chaining.

The best connection method would be to take the output of the first splitter into the next 4 splitters and split from there, as this will give the most even distribution. The suggestion you made will lead to very noticeable gain changes along the line.

DYeomans11

Standard Member
Use a splitter with zero gain - no boost, and you should be OK.

There will be degradation, so use the lowest resolution you can get away with and avoid strong adjacent colours, as there will possibly be bleed, particularly with fine lines.

Use decent cables, as poor connectors on VGA cause reflections, leading to an even worse image, with ghosting on vertical lines.

You may also need to spend some time tweaking brightness to get them all the same, as there no doubt will be some gain changes through the daisy chaining.

The best connection method would be to take the output of the first splitter into the next 4 splitters and split from there, as this will give the most even distribution. The suggestion you made will lead to very noticeable gain changes along the line.
That's fine. It would purely be to show the displays are working anyway. So your saying connect splitter one to PC then connect 4 other splitter boxes onto the 1st splitter box outputs would be the best way? Also why would ones with no boost be better?
Thanks for your advise

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Applying boost will make the picture brighter and it may well appear noisier as well. zero gain should mean the same signal in and out, which is what you want.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom