1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Scart > Component Converter. Best Option ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by harrisuk, Jan 28, 2003.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Now I have decided to exchange my faulty Sammy for the LG 17 I will need to get my scart devices (DVD / Xbox / NTL Digital) which use RGB scart to connect to the LG Component input.

What is the best option

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/csy-2100.htm

£80 no audio but dont need it as it is goes through my amp

or many on this boards favorite

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

£140 odd quid but meant to be mustard.

I want honest opinions here not http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ device is best beacuse I bought it. This does happen so please dont get offended people.

Do these things increase audio sync problems. Does adding one of these into the loop degridate quality ?

Can I connect the RGB switch box I am using at the moment into this thing and will that further degridate quality ? What are the best component cables to conect this to the screen (Only used RGB scart before).

I am still absolutely astounded that they are selling these things for £2000 - £3000 on the European market and they dont include the european connection standard RGB scart.

That is one of the reasons I liked the Sammy originally, it has an RGB socket but never mind.

I am happy to spend the £140 on one of these things if it gives me RGB scart quality and it is justifyably worth almost double the amount. Or is it not worth getting the cheaper option at £80 and spend the other £60 on quality component leads ???

2. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you getting non-scart audio out of the NTL box?

My old box used to have the phono plugs on the back...but the new one doesn't.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Harrisuk

I doubt anyone has had the time or the inclination to sit and do a head to head between all of the RGB2YUV converters that are now on the market.

There are many converters built for and marketed to the professional market - mostly pretty expensive devices. I think Dr John at JS Technology was possibly the first to produce a low cost device that was aimed solely at the consumer market.

Johns box works very well and is as near as possible to unconverted RGB to be hard to tell the two apart.

I have used some products from Scancom but not the YUV converter so cant tell you if its as good as John's or not - I cant see it being much better as there's not a lot to improve on in Johns device.

The only way to tell if your switcher is up to the job or not is to get in into a circuit with a converter and see if the signal degrades or not - if it does you should consider the B-Tech SCART switcher Quattro+ and the new Quintro; these both offer multiple inputs with little or no signal degradation.

For Component Video sets we tend to use Van Damme LC OFC installation grade cables.

Best regards

Joe

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks Joe. Very Useful. I will just try the Scart switcher and see if it works ok, if not I will look at the switches you have recommended. Hopefully someone will have used the other RGB -> component converter I mentioned I would be interested in giving it a go.

Seing as you are in the trade do you know why these sets for the european market dont come with RGB scart as a connection out of the box ? Madness surely or is it a legacy from their business use days ?

Previous post mentioned Audio out of Ntl Digital. My box has audi output as well as RGB scart. Bad luck I would try to get another box but easier said than done.