1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA -> RGB Scart cable, almost perfect

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by basse_j, Oct 20, 2004.

1. basse_j

basse_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi !

I've soldered a VGA (PC) -> RGB Scart cable (TV) following the instructions in an old thread on this forum and the instructions from here: http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html

The picture on the TV is almost perfect (much better than s-video), but not quite as perfect as I would like it to be ;)

There is a bit of noise in the picture, which makes especially white text and vertical white lines appear a bit shaky and wavy on the windows desktop :( Also, standard black text in eg. an internet browser is not that easily readable at 960x540. The picture it self is dead steady and has a fine color-seperation (great in movies).

Would it be possible to tweak this niose away with Powerstrip, or would I need to get an even better cable with better shielding ?

Here are some details on my setup:

Cable: I used an existing cheap scart-cable (1,5 meters) and followed the soldering instructions on the Frensh website. As a scart-cable has a ground/shield signal, I did add this to the chassis of the VGA and scart plug. This is not stated in the instructions.

TV: Sony KV-32FX66 (2 year old 100hz Trinitron 16:9 TV)

Powerstrip: v3.56, with the following settings:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    960x540=960,88,72,168,540,21,9,58,20222,312

Generic timing details for 960x540:
    HFP=88 HSW=72 HBP=168 kHz=16 VFP=21 VSW=9 VBP=58 Hz=25

Linux modeline parameters:
    "960x540" 20.222 960 1048 1120 1288 540 561 570 628 interlace +hsync +vsync

PC: IBM R51 Thinkpad with a Radeon 9000 mobility graphicscard- my test HTPC, before building a real one ;)

I did try other recommeded timing-settings in powerstrip, but white text/white vertical lines still appear a bit shaky !

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a perfectionist, but my Kiss-DP500 DivX/DVD-player is capable of showing perfect white text/lines using RGB-scart - so it must be possible for the PC to do the same ;)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
    Basse_j - Denmark

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My white verticals are rock steady.

1.5 metres is quite long - I am wondering if signal strength is being degraded ?

Also was the SCART internally shielded ?

I'm not a tech bod so these are just some random thoughts.

Have you tried it on another RGB-SCART-In TV ?

3. basse_j

basse_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Scart was initially shielded, so I've just soldered the existing shield to the chassis on the VGA end. Should actually reduce risk of signal-noice greatly.

Also I don't think the cable length 1,5 metres (4,5 feet) should pose a problem. Many setup's doesn't allow for shorter distances due to the placement of the TV and PC.

Hope someone has some knowledge in this area, regarding whether this is a signal/cable problem or a matter of Powerstrip/TV-tuning.

4. basse_j

basse_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have done some tweaking in Powerstrip ! No luck :(

Using the homemade VGA -> RGB Scart cable still result in noice in the picture on the Trinitron TV. This is primarily visible around white colors. Vertical white lines are especially shaky/wavy !

Any ideas anyone.... Cable-problem, software problem or live with it ?!?

5. yoyoman

yoyoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been reading these threads for a while now thanks for all the help you are offering, It's great that people are so willing to share their knowledge. :thumbsup:

Have you managed to improve the picture basse_j? If so how? I built the cable at the weekend and am experiencing the same shaky image with the whites. :thumbsdow

6. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm using a 3m cable and thats fine. My text is perfect initially when the TV switches to that input, then kind of doubles slightly after a couple of seconds. Everything else looks great but text looks like it's being made bold. I'd be interested to see if you solve this :)

Dave

7. basse_j

basse_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the homemade VGA -> RGB Scart cable still result in noice in the picture on the Trinitron TV. This is primarily visible around white colors. Vertical white lines are especially shaky/wavy !

I've been told, that this kind of instability is most likely due to the cheap materials that I used to build my test-cable. Perhaps also due to my not so great soldering skills ;)

I've decided to order a premade high-quality cable from a Danish vendor. will cost me around 65 EUR, so I hope it solves the problem.

8. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of giving us the link to this Danish vendor??

Cheers
    Rich

9. tjementum

tjementum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I know this is an old thread, but I sure that this is the Danish site:
    http://av-connection.com/?Hirachyid=550

Notices that the cable i only for Redeon and Matrox.

Notices that the site is for Nordic and EU customers only.

They have a danish e-mark, which means that they ar commited to services, an d I must say that live up to it. Just bought the cabel pice by pice... I going to solder it tomorrow, so I cant say anything about the picture quality.

Thomas