1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA RGB Problems :(

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CodeThief, Sep 30, 2004.

1. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had this setup for months with no problems then all of a sudden last night, I was watching a DVD and screen went white for about 5 seconds. I thought it was the DVD so didn't think anything of it and carried on watching. It then went white again and stayed white. I was nowhere near the cables and nothing is loose.

I now can't get anything other than a white screen whatever settings I use in powerstrip. The Tv-Out still works but looks abysmal comparatively :(

Anyone any ideas what may have happened? I'm thinking RAMDAC maybe???

Radeon 9200SE into a Toshiba 32ZP38B btw. I've tried other inputs on the TV and all the same, just a white screen.

Dave

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you mean you have the home-soldered SCART lead to get VGA-to-RGB from Radeons ?

If so, the other day I noticed my screen was white on turning to AV-RGB.

Checked the lead and the vga was not pushed on enough to the Radeon port - half pins were connected/half not. Pushed it full on and all was well.

That could point to either

a) Your VGA-SCART lead is naff
    b) The Radeon VGA port is naff
    c) the card is naff

You could check the lead with a multimeter ( borrow one or dirt cheap from Maplins ). Set it to test for resistance ( ohms ) and check each pin as they should be wired. e.g. if pin 4 of the VGA is to go to pin 14 of the SCART then put one detector on pin 4 VGA and one on pin 14 of SCART. If the connection is good you should get 0 or close to 0 ohms. If bad you will get massive resistance. Check each connection in turn. A couple of the connections should read 75ohms because of the resistor in the build.

Apart from that I can't think of what else you could do.

3. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, I'll double check the cable in a minute.

So far I've tried.

Monitor on Radeon, works fine so it's not the Radeon / VGA port.
    Sky box in the SCART on the TV and it works fine so it's not the TV.
    VGA --> RGB cable in another SCART on the TV, still white.

Looking like the cable :( I've taken it apart and looked for obvious breaks but nothing. Time to get the multimeter out.

Dave

4. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think I've just found out what it is :rolleyes:

I followed the www.idiots.org.uk guide which means I was tapping a +5v from an internal Molex. The resistor that went across the +5v line had broken off at both ends :rolleyes:

/me gets soldering iron out :)

Dave

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    CodeTheif as an aside what resoltuion have you got running on your picture frame telly? Does it handle widescreen 960x540 well?

Also have you tried out an official component adaptor for the Radeon to get a progressive image on your screen? just thinking about quality differences.

6. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep that fixed it :cool:

I've tried 960x540 using your timings and they were great, no overscan / underscan at all :cool:

I'm playing with 1024x576 and that works but with some overscan I can't get rid of :(

I haven't tried the ATI adaptor as I only have a 9200SE and you can't use the adaptor on that card :( Also it's not a picture frame, it's the new model after that :)

Dave

7. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the info Code. I'm seriously thinking of selling my current 28" Philips 9308 (pixelPlus) which works great at 960x540 but upgrading to a 32" for the bigger screen. The picture frames are all that will fit in the confined space I've got so I was hoping to get some direct experiences of prograssive using component. Thanks for the info about the 960x540, atleast that should work.

8. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No problems :) I would happily recommend this TV to anyone :) I'm using the internal deinterlacing for the interlaced piccie and it does a pretty good job :) Looks lovely :cool:

Dave

9. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is this official component adaptor for Radeons ?

For info -> I too only fit 960x540 on a Panasonic CRT with no under/overscan and 1024x576 with overscan.

I run my desktop at 960x540 so that viewing jpg pics is not subject to overscan.

I have found that with ZoomPlayer you can define play resolution and offsets for media so I play my Nebula DigiTV captures at a 1024x576 size ( so I don't get resizing picture artefacts ) but at the 960x540 resolution offset by x= -32, y= -18 to get the same result as overscan without having to use PowerStrip to switch to 1024x576 resolution, thus avoiding the annoying second of screen wobble as the TV re-syncs.

I put my SkyBox in through a SweetSpot and use DScaler 4 for watching it. DScaler 4 algorithms are good enough to be able to resize the 576 vertical full pic to 540 vertical res without much visible detrimental effect.

The DScaler developer is currently building a MPEG2 decoding algorithm which you can plug in to ZoomPlayer. It does a good job of decoding the Nebula DigiTV captures. When that is stable he is going to develop post-processing filters to act like DScaler 4 so hopefully soon we will be able to play Nebula DigiTV captures through ZoomPlayer and resize to 960x540 without artefacts.

I've gone way off-topic!

Anyone got any other tips for VGA-SCART ?

10. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ATI produce an official DVI --> Component adapter so you can have 480p,720p,1080i if your display would support it. I've been tempted to get one from www.svideo.com as they're only about £30 shipped to the UK but you need a Radeon 9500+ to use it :(

Dave