VGA over Cat5 extenders

Son_of_Noise

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a VGA over Cat5 extender to allow me to connect my PC and plasma TV in different rooms.

I am aiming for a resolution of 1024x768 @ 75 Hz for movies and games. I am not sure if the picture quality delivered by these gadgets is any good and would be very grateful if someone could tell me what they are like.

We use KVM Cat 5 extenders at work and the picture is not great really. Some herringbone patterns and a grainyness on the picture.

It's fine for the function we need at work but I wouldn't have it at home.

Pablo

Thanks Pablo, thats just the kind of information I was looking for. I had a feeling that the quality was not so good and more intended for in store displays, etc. rather than home cinema and gaming.

The performance will vary greatly between the different devices - there are also active versus passive to consider. We find that the active units are better at the higher resolutions, and we have boxes that will easily do the resolutions that you require , guaranteed :)

I have to disagree, I have used bucket loads of CAT5e extenders, I have one in a demo property at the moment which shares 1 VGA & 1 audio signal and then distributes over 4 CAT5e cables so you can access it in 4 rooms, the picture quality is superb there is no difference in quality, I have even hard wired a cat5e cable with VGA ends using STP cable and the quality isnt as good but is remarkable for about £3, i recommend http://www.pixels.uk.com

Oh and i forgot to say its also running at 1360x768 on a 40" LG LCD screen in the main lounge approx 70M of cable away from the HTPC, i have pics if you would like to see the setup

Jack

I am thinking of getting a VGA over Cat5 extender to allow me to connect my PC and plasma TV in different rooms.
Nothing on earth would induce me to try VGA over any distance again with my plasma for HTPC use. It just doesn't work properly.

I now use a 10m HDMI cable which works perfectly (and also carries sound).

Nothing on earth would induce me to try VGA over any distance again with my plasma for HTPC use. It just doesn't work properly.

I now use a 10m HDMI cable which works perfectly (and also carries sound).

I have used a 15M VGA cable on its own with no difference in quality, you wer obviously using crap cable, also if he wants to over distances more than say 15 or 20M then using a HDMI cable is uselss, far better off sending VGA over CAT5, done this many of times with great success

I have used a 15M VGA cable on its own with no difference in quality, you wer obviously using crap cable,
No, I was using very good cable. And you didn't read what I wrote: VGA with my plasma is rubbish even with a short cable. The cable is not the issue. VGA just gives far too many insurmountable picture problems. Tests I have made on another screens and with other video cards lead me to suspect that the problems are widespread but not always noticed by the viewer.

The same screen and video card gives splendid results with the HDMI output and I would always go for this. If necessary I would install a second PC nearer to the screen and connect this to the other PC via Cat5e, thus allowing an HDMI connection to the screen.

The same screen and video card gives splendid results with the HDMI output and I would always go for this. If necessary I would install a second PC nearer to the screen and connect this to the other PC via Cat5e, thus allowing an HDMI connection to the screen.

What video card are you using, I believe you can send HDMI over CAT5, but at the moment it is very expensive?

Jack

What video card are you using, I believe you can send HDMI over CAT5, but at the moment it is very expensive?
I have a Sapphire ATI X1600 HDMI with an HDMI socket. So I just use a 10m HDMI cable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom