VGA Output Problems on KDFE50a12u :(

mpaul0055

Established Member
Reaction score
Well ive connected my Laptop up to my KDFE50A12U using the Vga connection, but the Screen is not the correct size and i seem to have a frosted image. Very odd. Even odder is the fact small bands of the picture jump left to right.

I know im not the only one with this problem, has anyone got the vga connection working succesfully?

Thanks in advance. Mark

I copied the beginning of this discussion from the laptop thread so that this subject can fully belong and continue here :)

TYN

Yep i have exactly the same problem, i have the horizontal bands that flick from left to right and a soft look to the picture.
Although i can get the display positioned right with resolutions of 1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768 but this soft look is bad and looks like a fault with this model of tv.
I have emailed Sony so i will hae to wait and see what they say

I am using a Ati 9800 pro but i have also tried a Geforce 7800gtx with the same results.

Hope their is a fix because this puts a downer on a otherwise excellent tv

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

mpaul0055

gutted, hopefully we arent the unlucky ones and there is an easy fix.

Have you tried Dvi to Hdmi?
ive been tempted to give this a go.

-TYN-

Yes i have on both cards with no luck, the picture gets messed up.
According to US forums sony make their hdmi port support hdcp on all content even when unprotected content is used. This means you need to get a newer Ati card which supports the hdmi 1.0 standard, thats why Beetiger has sucess using dvi to hdmi with his ati x800.

But thats besides the point because vga should work :mad:

mpaul0055

is vga a poor connection? when it works will it display hd well.

-TYN-

vga should be excellent quality and i have been using it up until now on sonys last rear pro lcd model ( KF-50SX300) with no problem, and yes vga can display the full hd resolution and looks excellent, so their is something definately at fault with the vga input on this tv.

Maybe Kourosh has had some feedback/info on this as he works for Sony.

Any info would be much appreciated as one of my main uses for this tv is as a pc display...Please help :rolleyes:

Try changing the refresh rate. At least, make sure your PC is outputting a refresh rate that the TV is stated to be able to handle. 60hz is typical for many, but I don't know about this particular one. Or experiment with different rates to see which if any gives a good result.

cheers nigel.

will have a go at the Hz settings later today, although i am pretty sure that its on 60hz anyway.

Any joy yet -TYN-

I still have no joy and i have tried every setting imaginable through powerstrip. This tv is meant to support the standard vesa resolutions 640 x 480, 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 at 60hz according to the manual.
The blurred/unfocussed look never alters no matter what settings you alter on the tv,graphics card and powerstrip.
The manual even shows the recommended horizontal and vertical frequency's which i have also set on powerstrip and i still get the blurr/unfocussed appearance which never even looks like altering.
Its wierd because if you look through the blurr you can see that the display would be perfect with easily readable fine text, just seems like a setting is wrong in the service menu or something.
Also i have contacted a few American owners of the A10 (us equivalent) and they confirm that it has no such problems over there.

I am going to phone Sony and Robert Whyte on Monday to see if the problem is recognized by either of them yet.

Fingers crossed :lease:

Have you tried it at native resolution - 1280x720 - at say, 60Hz?

My Grapics card wont go to 1280 x 720 :( But im sure TYN has tried everything possible.

Could it have something to do with the type of VGA cable we are using? I remember in the manual in mentions to have a certain type??

Cheers

I have tried the native resolution with no joy, tried forcing HDTV mode and tried every setting imaginable in powerstrip.
The cable that is recommended is one that contains ferrites which is basically a high level noise surpressor this is what i am using at the moment and eliminates the bands of the picture that jump left to right which you are getting but it does nothing to cure the soft/frosted look :mad:

Most cables that have ferrites have a plastic moulded lump at each end of the cable just before the connectors although some have a ferrite core, Just incase you wanted to check if yours contain ferrites or not :)

I think mine does have ferrites but its only a low quality one.

May pop out and get a slightly better one tonight, even if it just stops the jumping from left to right. :(

I only tried my laptop very briefly with it set to 1024x768 and 800x600, both at 60Hz.

To be honest, it looked fine to me but I didn't exactly study it for faults.

If I get a chance, I'll try it at 1280x720 and see how it looks.

I would save your money until/if this gets sorted because believe me that unfocused look kills your eyes after a short time. :suicide:

View the screen at 1024 x 768 to view the faullt ats its most pronounced state, 1280 x 720 does not work at all.

Have you herd anything back from sony, I cant find and more info on this problem anywhere. :(

Would Dvi to Vga work do you think??

-TYN- said:
I would save your money until/if this gets sorted because believe me that unfocused look kills your eyes after a short time. :suicide:

View the screen at 1024 x 768 to view the faullt ats its most pronounced state, 1024 x 720 does not work at all.

I'm not surprised that 1024x720 doesn't work - it isn't a recognised VESA standard, is it?

I have tried using the dvi port for vga but get the same results.

I have no reply from Sony yet , But it does say it can take upto 48 hrs. If i get back in time tomorrow and still not heard anything i will give them a call.

Also i think everybody that has the problem should phone so Sony know that the problem is widespread.

Any updates i get will be posted in this thread :)

OOps sry i was meant to put 1280 x 720 - edit

I shall get on the phone to Sony as soon as i get back from work.

Multiple Moaning should help :)

Has anyone had there pc hooked upto the sony yet? Does the desktop on the tv look as sharp as on the monitor?

not sure if im just expecting too much from the vga input

Your definately not expecting too much as its basically unusable 1024 x 768 which is one of the recommended settings.

I have owned a Samsung pedestal DLP, Toshiba dlp and a Sony KF-50SX300 returned the dlps due to rainbows and Tosh blurr prob when they first came out and then got the Sony which i kept up until now.
All 3 have displayed vga perfectly image wise as anyone else in this forum can confirm.
They just look like a large monitor, Anyway i'm off to work on a pair of glasses that can reverse the focus/blurr :hiya:

Also if possible could other owners test their tv out with a pc via VGA at 1024 x 768 and post their results. Thanks :)

Yeh any pictures of people runnning there PCs on the sony would be great. Or just some basic feedback.

Hi Guys,
i have had this TV for about a month and have noticed the problem too, i find that everything is fine when watching media through videoLan and looking at pictures but surfing the internet and reading text for any length of time is really bad on my eyes,

I cant display anything at 1280 * 720 so am using 1024* 768. I also use an ATI 9800 pro graphics card.

Please let me know where you get with this issue as i hope it can be fixed.

Cheers
Steve

Instead of posting links to your C:\ drive, you need to click on "Post Reply" and then scroll down until you see a button called "Manage Attachments" - click it.

You can then upload your pictures using the "Browse" and "Upload" buttons.

When you've finished, click "Submit Reply".

Hope this helps :)

Instead of posting links to your C:\ drive, you need to click on "Post Reply" and then scroll down until you see a button called "Manage Attachments" - click it.

Thanks DK.........Just tried it and the images are to big to post :suicide: i dont have software to crop them either :(

i'd like to see this problem, im going to take a trip back to the sony centre this weekend me thinks....it sounds awfully like when you plug a pc in via S-VIDEO

Dont forget to put the res to 1024 x 768 when you go to view it as this shows the problem up alot more than 800 x 600 :smashin:

S-Video is just bad quality where as this looks crystal clear, apart from someone has put clear film over the top which gives an unfocused look :)
Its hard to explain but you will see what i mean when you test it out.

This Video Lan could solve my problem, Im not wanting to use the Tv as a motitor, just to view my media.

What does videolan do, do i need more hardware?

Thanks in advance :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom