1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA or DVI Lead? Much difference?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Scotty Boy, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Currently got my Denon 1910, connected to my Panasonic AE700 via component leads.

The denon will output 720p and 1080i through the DVI out on the back, will this show much of an improvement? What do you think may look best on the projector?

As the projector doesn't have DVI in, I was thinking of buying a DVI> VGA adapter, then a long VGA lead (around 10m) Would this be ok do you think? Or would it be much better to buy a long DVI lead, and then DVI> HDMI convertor?

Trying to save a little bit of cash too, and the VGA option would be far cheaper than a long HDMI lead. :)

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,024
    Scottyboy

A long DVI to HDMI cable is your best option if you want to try out the Digital vs. Analogue connectivity - your other idea sounds like a lot of cost and effort for little or no return.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that a DVI-D to VGA adapter is low cost - I think you may be mixing up a DVI-I to VGA adapter; which are relatively cheap though no use if your Source is equipped with a DVI-D Output.

Best regards

Joe

PS See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185961 for a good price on a 10m DVI>HDMI cable.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    If you don't have DVI in on the pj, then it would be a waste to use a DVI cable, so get the long vga and use the vga-dvi adapter.

In the future if you upgrade you may want an HDMI cable though. :)

Gary.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    As I understand it, Joe is right and a DVI-VGA adapter won't work.
    It would from a HTPC (as graphics cards use DVI-I connectors, which feature both digital and analogue signals), but not from the Denon DVD1910 (this uses a DVI-D connection, which only has the digital signals).

That leaves you with the option of a 10m DVI-HDMI cable (or use a 10m HDMI-HDMI cable, with a DVI adapter (HDMI(Female) to DVI-D(Male) on the Denon end - that way you are covered in case you later upgrade the Denon).

As to whether it's worthwhile - you can't really tell until you try it.

There are two things here - the connection itself, and the scaling.

Theoretically, all things being equal, the HDMI connection should be better (it avoids the DA conversion in the player and the susequent reverse AD conversion in the PJ) - however there are many variables which mean that in practice this may not be so.
    To tell which you liked best, you'd have to set the Denon to output standard DVD res on the DVI port - then it's a like for like comparison with the progressive component signal.

Then there's the scaling.
    Your AE700 is already scaling the component input to 720p, it's native format.
    If the Denon does it instead and outputs 720p via DVI - it's really a case of which scaler is better (if there's any detectable difference).
    However, this is often not as simple as it first seems either - you may find there is no way to bypass the internal scaler in the AE700 (I'm not that familiar with it), so you could end up having the signal scaled twice, once at each end of the link.
    You could input a pixel perfect 720p signal with textbook timing characteristics, and still get it "seen to" by the PJ, as it applies overscan etc etc - people's mileage varies with this 1:1 pixel mapping.

All you can do is project the images and see which you like best.
    Obviously, borrowing a HDMI/DVI cable first would be the ideal!

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
  6. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Going to read through this tomorrow. But is that lead you posted directional?

7. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    so does a vga cable carry a digital or analogue signal?

8. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VGA is analog.