vga or component?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NEXUS-6, Nov 20, 2004.

1. NEXUS-6

NEXUS-6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie question:

I'm ceiling-mounting an INFOCUS X1 and was wondering if anyone knows the best way to connect it to my receiver.
    Should I use a long (8metre-ish) VGA-VGA cable connected to the projector and then use a short VGA-3PHONO cable to complete the run, or should I use a long 3PHONO-3PHONO cable and then use the equivalent short conversion cable at the projector end, or does it really matter!!!

I would like to get it right first time if possible so any advice would be gratefully received.

:lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Does the X1 auto-detect component and RGB inputs on the VGA connector? I think you'd probably be better off with a long VGA cable plugged into the project and use the adapter cable near the receiver, it'll be easier to manage a single core cable than a 3-core one .. OTOH it may be easier to get a good quality long component cable, I've never seen a VGA->phono lead such as you seem to need to plug into the X1 so don't know what issues there are with them.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I would go with a good quality component cable. Splitting signals, using adapters and connectors is never going to keep the signal as pure as one direct connection. Component is still a brilliant connection and even DVI can sometimes look worse than component, tending to improve detail but lose out on contrast.
    So stick with a good component connection from a good DVD player and you'll be fine.