1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA or Component input?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Iassh, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a SONY HS1 linked to a Primare v25 using the ps component output of the player. Because the player has a VGA output also with ps, I would like to know which output will deliver the better picture, the component or the VGA.

I would try it myself, but I need a special cable supplied by Sony to use the VGA output, so I'm asking before ordering it.

Thanks for your help.

2. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cannot comment on which connection is best but suggest you stick with the component as the special cable you require from Sony (SIC-HS30) is extremely hard to get hold of (at least in the UK it is).

If you can get one where you are then great but they are like gold-dust in this country and no one seems to have any in stock (lead times from Sony just get pushed further and further back each time you ask).

I know this is not much help in answering your question but just thought I would warn you of the possible difficulties you may face with pursuing the VGA option.

Good luck!:)

3. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

I don´t know if will be hard to find the HS30 cable here in Spain. It was easy to find the Multi PJ-to-Component (I think it is the HS40): I got it in 10 days from a Sony Professional-Division Dealer (not a "regular" Sony dealer). The problem is if it´s worth it.

Do you know if the PJ-Multi conector is "standard"? I mean, can I go to a shop and ask them to make me a wire with a PJ-Multi in one side and a VGA or component conectors in the other? Will they know how to wire everything properly in the conectors?

Thanks !!

4. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware, the PJ-Multi connection is unique to Sony and only manufactured by them.

However, several people on these message boards have successfully made their own HS30 cables by using the free cable that comes with the HS1 (I am also in the process of doing this).

It means taking apart the PJ-Multi connector and moving the wires around inside (a VERY fiddley job!) and then cutting the composite cables off from the other end and soldering the exposed wires to a VGA monitor cable (which has also had one end removed).
    See the following posts for further info on this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29870

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36290

I guess your local electrical store could do this for you but they will need the PJ-Multi connector to work with as they are very unlikely to have a stock of these themselves.

Of course, if you are using this free cable already then you are a bit stuck as the PJ-Multi connector is the key (unless your local Sony stockist sells them as a spare part?).

Hope this helps!

5. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your help.

Do you know if it's worth to "sacrifice" the HS10 cable and make a VGA? Will it be better than component video output? Because I really don't need the HS10 as I have the HS40.

Cheers!

6. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not 100% certain of this but believe the VGA signal is better than the component video signal.

In the hardware reviews on this MB it says of the Primare V25 that "There's even an XVGA output for piping prog scan video to a data projector." From this I would say VGA is preferred though perhaps someone else can confirm this?

You don't have to completely destroy the HS10 cable - instead you can remove the PJ-Multi connector and attach it to a length of Multi-Core Screened Cable. Then attach a HD15-pin plug (PC monitor plug) to the other end of this cable and you should then have your own custom-made HS30 but still have your HS10 in relatively one piece in case you ever do need it in the future (see http://www.maplin.co.uk and search for XR46 for an example of the cable I mean). This is the method I am using to make my own HS30 cable and, although I haven't finished mine yet, there is at least one guy on this MB that has used this cable to do this successfully.

Take care
    :)

7. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been experimenting with some VGA equipped progressive scan players: the Nintaus and the Skyworth. Here are some of my views on the subject.

The signal from a VGA equipped progressive scan player is not a PC standard resolution or refresh rate. This causes problems with some digital projectors: the projector might revert to any closest PC mode, and the picture aspect ratio might be severely affected.

There have also been other problems with VGA players and digital projectors: when using a Skyworth 1050p progressive scan player with VGA it has been found that both the AE100 and the AE300 produce severe horizontal "brightness variation artefacts" , which render the picture impossible to watch.

On some projectors (don't know about the HS1), it is impossible to squeeze an anamorphic picture when using the VGA input. This is bad, because the letterboxing done in the VGA equipped players is usually very poor quality, and results in bad artefacts. Component is much, much better in these occasions.

I suggest you stick with component, or at least try the VGA cable first without buying. And as always with a VGA source, you must calibrate your projector sync settings with the DVD player connected to the VGA input, in order to get a good picture.

Best regards,
    Olaiho

8. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your repplies. I think I'll stick to the component video output until I can get a demo of the HS1 with a VGA input.

Bye !!

9. byronm

byronm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think artifacts from a VGA source would be the fault of the VGA source. Nice thing about VGA input is you do get pixel-pixel image resolution support.

Running your PC to the VGA port and using TheaterTek or PowerDVD is about the cleanest image you can get.

Just make sure your running in refresh rates as supported by your projector. You can use "PowerStrip" to set your video card to the exact resolutions of your lcd/dlp display as well.