vga.............no signal input.... HELP!!

hannah1983

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

apologies if i've posted in the wrong place, this is my first post!

I've got a HP Pavilion desktop pc A6421.uk with a with a w2007v monior.

it is running windows vista home edition as was pre-installed when purchased. i guess the units about 5 years old now so in computing terms its probably had its shelf life but its not had a hard life so id like it to last a bit longer!

for the last week ive been having problems when start up saying no vga input signal...........monitor going to sleep. switching on and off has been kick starting it however now when i desperately need to use it, nothing i do will get it to work.

ive disconnected it completely, held down the button to remove any static discharge, reconnected it all and its still the same. the fans kick in and it sounds like the tower is starting up but there is till no vga input and the monitor just goes to sleep.

i bought a new graphics card yesterday after doing a bit of research in the hope that would be the simple fix. my pc was full of dust so i cleaned it all out took the old graphics card with me. the techy said the fan sounded ok but i bought a new one fitted it and the monitor is doing the same.... flashing up with no signal input then goes to sleep. i tried opening up the menu on the screen but as soon as i powered it up it instantly goes to sleep so i cant even access that.

Theres a driver software installation disk that came with the new card but i cant even download the software that comes with it as i cant see the screen, could this be essential for iyt to work or should the screen boot up automatically and request installation software?

but maybe the card isnt even the problem

everything on the tower seems to be powering up ok, i tried linking my netbook to see if the tower is working ok but wasnt really too sure what i was doing so didnt wanna mess that up too. i guess the next option is to either buy a new lead or try hook it up to a tv but i dont know how to do that, with what cables etc.

any ideas would be gratefully received! :lease:

thanks in advance

What graphics card did you buy and what did you get with it ? What connectors are on it ? VGA etc.

The problem you are having is because the monitor thinks it isn't getting any video signal.
I'm assuming that you have installed the graphics card and connected it to the monitor and that you are getting the same error / problem.
In addressing these types of problems always start with the cheapest part. So what you should have done is buy yourself a new VGA cable for connecting PC to Monitor.
That is what you need to do now.

Vista was released in January 2007 so the very earliest Vista PCs will be five years old next month.

And yes, if the boot screen isn't showing up it's a hardware problem not a software problem so drivers won't make a bit of difference.

If the PC sounds like it's booting up fine, especially if you hear the windows startup chimes after a couple of minutes, then my first suspect would be the monitor or monitor cable rather than anything in the PC.

If you've got a netbook then does that work connected to the monitor?

As to connecting it to the TV. You either need VGA to VGA, DVI (PC) to HDMI (TV) or HDMI to HDMI. It should just be a case of plugging it in (i'd do it with the monitor unplugged first time).

I had an issue similar to this and it turned out to be a VGA-DVI adaptor that wasn't working. Don't suppose you are using one of them?

I doubt it is the monitor itself as you say it works but puts itself to sleep due to lack of input signal.

Certainly try replacing the cable or borrowing one first if you don't want to end up with two working cables!

hi

thanks for the info!

(FYI the graphics card i bought is a PNY GEFORCE 210 512MB DDR2)

right.................... i have taken out the new one and reinstalled the original graphics card for testing.

i connected the monitor to my netbook and the screen fired to life :) so that eliminates the vga-vga cable and the monitor.

i have just tried connecting my pc to the tv with both the vga cable (rgb slot) and a dvi-hdmi cable and nothing seems to be appearing on any of the multimedia channels.

when i fire up the tower it sounds like it usually would, the disk drive light is on as is the light on the back of the pc...........however i just plugged my earphones in and there is no windows start up chimes.

pc world said i could return the graphics card if it didnt work (which is the only reason i bought it)

If no-one has any other ideas it looks like ive utilised my diy skills and its off to a pc repair place :-(

Now that you have eliminated the monitor and cable as possibly faulty.
Emphasis is back on the system unit. There are another couple of tests you could run to be sure about the fault.

1. Access BIOS. On HP machines it is F10. Check that boot order is set to CD-Rom first then HDD.
2. A Live Distro CD. E.g. Knoppix. (You may need to go to a friends and download it and cut it to CD) or if your machine's optical drive reads DVDs then any of the disks from Linux Format,Linux Magazine or Linux User & Developer will do. Does the machine boot and display on the monitor ?
3. Take all the memory out and boot the machine, it should beep a number of times to indicate no memory.

I suspect that your problem is motherboard related so none of the tests above should succeed. If this is the case then to be perfectly honest I don't think it would be worth getting the machine repaired.

right ive just read to disconnect the hd and start up so ive disconnected the hd from the motherboard, started it up and the hp screen fired up as it would on initial start up and has now gone to black screen saying

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

is this good or bad?!!

right ive just read to disconnect the hd and start up so ive disconnected the hd from the motherboard, started it up and the hp screen fired up as it would on initial start up and has now gone to black screen saying

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

is this good or bad?!!

Good.
The fact you have got this message indicates that the machine bar Hard drive is OK and that I was wrong in my initial diagnosis but the tests I suggested would have lead to the HDD being identified as the suspect component.
Do you have media for reinstalling the OS ? (Vista) and then all the drivers for getting the machine running again ?
Is there anything of importance on the HDD that you would want to keep ?

thanks for your help.

well ive got an external HD which i moved most of my stuff to a while back so hopefully it'll be ok. i dont think id lose anything too important to be honest i'll be happy just to know it can be fixed.

ive just found a disc amongst all the original paperwork that came with the pc which says software and documentation (never been opened) would that contain the original files to allow me to reinstall? cant seem to find anything else and i 'usually' keep it all together!

ah............upon further inspection that disk is for the monitor :-(

just looked through the trouble shooting guide and it says you need to create your own back up discs :-( im such a fool!!!!!!!!!!!!

it also says that you can do system recovery through pressing F11 on start up however if i reconnect the HD cable to the motherboard will this even allow me to do this or will the monitor instantly go to sleep again?

You would need to check to see what the docs say about the disk. In recent times HP along with other big makers have put a recovery partition on the drive and stored the OS there to make it easy to reinstall. It would then be up to the owner to cut a set of recovery media. Not really much use to you if the drive from the machine is knackered. You may need to contact HP about install media if you don't have any.

yes it says in the manual that theres a partition. you can buy the disks but like you say theres no point if the hard drives knackered.

i guess its time to visit someone who knows what theyre doing.

Thanks ever so much for all your time and help the people o these forums never cease to amaze me with their kindness.

Hannah

youre not going to believe this.................... i thought right before i take it to someone i'm gonna reconnect everything, reseat all the RAM and give it one last go

THE BLOODY THING HAS SUDDENLY DECIDED TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive noticed the D: looks quite full, when i opened it that is the system recovery partition but i cant recall whether the memory tab has always been like that.

anyway any suggestions to do any tests/back ups while its running?!

youre not going to believe this.................... i thought right before i take it to someone i'm gonna reconnect everything, reseat all the RAM and give it one last go

THE BLOODY THING HAS SUDDENLY DECIDED TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive noticed the D: looks quite full, when i opened it that is the system recovery partition but i cant recall whether the memory tab has always been like that.

anyway any suggestions to do any tests/back ups while its running?!

:laugh: Sod's Law strikes again.

If you go to Control Panel -----> Administrative Tools -----> Computer Management
It will open in a windows and in the left hand pane is a menu pick Disk Management(it is under storage)
This will show a map of the drives in the machine. The recovery partition is usually the small partition on the drive.

The other thing to do is to run the software that will allow you to cut recovery media.Find out what you need, get some blanks and get that recovery media cut.(just in case):lesson::lease:

hey guys i have received my new pc today
AMD PILEDRIVER FX-6350 Gaming PC (AMD FX-6350 Six Core 4.20GHz CPU, NVIDIA GTX960 2GB HDMI Graphics Card, 1TB Hard Drive, 8GB DDR3 Memory, HDMI 1080p, USB 3.0, WiFi) and i have and asus monitor but when i fire up the pc it's saying vga no signal and i have no idea why i have tryed everything please someone help me.
thanks

I suspect your monitor, not the PC is displaying the VGA No Signal message.
I have to ask...do you have your new PC connected to your monitor by VGA or HDMI?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom