1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Length?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dinoprada2003, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi,

Need help with a purchase of a 15 metre VGA cable and I though i'd ask you guys advice before I procede.Im connecting the 15 Metre VGA lead from the back of my HTPC to my PJ would a lead that long affect video quality? Also is this the correct lead to use for the job? it' says male to male or do I need male-Female all it's for is as I said is simply to hook up back of PC' VGA to PJ VGA :D

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/VGA15.html

There is this 10 metre alternative and if it were to affect quality of video that much I would cough up extra £15 :eek:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2385/v/c82375ed-e1f4-47cf-9c03-1e1c48691f16

Thank's to all kind enough to reply.

DINO.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Dino

15m is a long run for most Graphics cards - remember the Card designer was expecting you to have a monitor within a couple of feet of your CPU.

If your PC is going to be a 'Primary' source then you may want to consider pretty high quality Multicore video cable - terminated in HD15 (M) at both ends if your Graphics card and PJ conform to the 'norm'.

The guys who sell the cables you've linked to will hopefully chip in but I'd be tending to look a little more upmarket if it were me and the PC was an important source - at 15m its not unheard of to have to include a signal amp in the signal path between the Graphics Card and the PJ.

Not sure how you suddenly drop back from 15m to 10m but if you can keep the cable run to 10m it certainly will make the Graphic Cards life a bit easier.

Best regards

Joe

3. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Thank's Joe excuse my ignorance but whats a signal amp!? the card is question is a gainward g-force 5900 golden sample see link below if that helps

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5909&GroupID=27

Can my card take the lead you recomend and roughly how much would a lead like that cost?

Thank's again

DINO.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you are wanting to run both off a single output graphics card you will need a 2 way distribution amp, if not you may still need a line driver to send the signal over that sort of length.
    http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=p2da2ximt&subtype=32&view=spec
    Or perhaps
    http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=p2da1&subtype=30
    Basically a signal signal booster, over long runs the voltage can drop meaning you lose colour and definition from an image, i have had this issue using S-video on long runs, and an upgraded amplifier did the trick.
    PS these things arent cheap.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello Dino

As Horny says the signal amp takes the VGA output from your graphics card and stabilises and amplifies it so that you still have a meaningful signal at the far end of a long cable run; the best of the signal amplifiers have variable outputs (manual or automatic) to ensure you always get a decent signal at the far end of your cable.

I'd tend to use/supply a VanDamme Red Series Mini Multicore for 10m or longer cable runs - though as I say even with one of these at 15m you still cant guarantee you wont see a difference if you were only using a 1m cable.

The VanDamme cable will cost around £150.00 for a 15m run and if required a VGA signal amp with automatic gain compensation can cost £130.

See http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/desc.asp?p=VP-200xl

As per my first post VanDamme is not the only option on the market.

Best regards

Joe

6. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Ok thanks guys thats very helpfull.I think for the sake of saving a few hundred quid im going to move HTPC and try and run a 10 metre lead.At that sort of length or less would I still need a signal amp? Joe you recomended
    The VanDamme cable is that the Multicore video cable - terminated in HD15
    that you recomend in your first post? Lets say for arguments sake I cough up the dough buy lead and amp how much "improvment" roughly does it make over say just using a 10-15metre lead from HTPC to PJ?

Thank's again guys most informative and helpfull :D

Dino.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello Dino

As before you can get relatively low cost pre moulded cables at 10m and for some these are good enough - even VanDamme do them; they have there own Blue Series.

If your serious about using the HTPC as a Primary source then the VanDamme Red Series or similar is a 'must have' otherwise you're likely to get ghosting, soft edges, a lack of detail and generally a lower quality image than if you were using a short decent quality cable.

The VanDamme Red series is a five core video Multicore using LCOFC technology and is a low loss cable that we use a lot on AV and HT Installs - we have these cables terminated in HD15, RCA or BNC to suit the application.

Best regards

Joe

PS It's amazing how often the HTPC is moved once folk find out the cost of a decent cable :)

8. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Hahaha too true thanks a million though for all you help :D going to go with a VanDamme Red and see how that goes.

Best Regard's

DINO.