1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Lead for PW6

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bobby_Dazzler, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am nearly there with the plasma set up i am looking for.

connecting sky plus to pw6 via VGA (using js tech scart to vga convertor)

and sony dav sa-30 to pw6 with phono on rg59 cable

the question i have is.... the distance between the plasma and the av equipment is about 15 meters maybe 20 is a VGA lead still the best option?

Regards

Bobby :clap:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Bobby Dazzler

I'd have thought you should be taking the SCART RGB out from your Sony to the SCART RGB in on your SKY Box and forgetting about using the Sony's Composite video out.

After that its SCART RGB out from SKY to the JS Technology converter and then HD15 (VGA) from the Converter to your Display's HD15 (VGA) Input.

Your pushing your luck with a 15m run of RGBHV (VGA) and going for broke at 20m - I'd suggest you budget for the possibility of having to introduce a VGA Line Driver between the output of the JS Converter and the Display (a decent quality Line Amp with variable attenuation will cost you less than £150).

Best regards

Joe

3. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help but now i am totally confused !

I only have one scart output on the back of the sony dav and two on the sky + one of which is vcr and the other tv av output? so how can i connect the two together? I think i may have to run a diffrent cable to the vga otherwise it will cost a fortune.
    I dont watch many dvd's mainly just football etc so i dont have to have the ultimate most expensive set up i just want to spend a bit more to get a bit more quality.

any advice would be appreciated

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    two questions, why so far apart?
    and how do you currently have it set up?
    S-video is a cheaper, although lower quality option!

5. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok this is what i have at the moment

sky +

sony dav sa -30

sont PS2

sony 28 " cacky pants tele - was good once upon a time!

all connected via standard scart and phono. ie ps2 into back of dav via red white and yellow.

My plan is to wall mount a PW6 with no wires showing. wall mounting is easy and chasing the wall with the right tool is easy too .... but with the equipment under the plasma its gonna look a bit naf so... i decided to put the sky + ps2 and dav in a diffrent corner of the room by routing the cables through the loft ( i live in a top floor apartment) and then down in to the corner that i need them. I think to have the ultimate setup it really does have to be wire free and clutter free. My solution would look the nuts and i would be happy to post pics after but the problem i have at the moment is finding out what i need to buy !

Thanks for your help guys !

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Bobby_dazzler

The SKY+ lets you 'daisy' chain' another RGB SCART source through the VCR socket - that way you only have one connection to your TV or Display; when you want to 'View' SKY the SKY+ is On and when you want to 'view' the DVD the SKY+ box is put into standby.

As Horny suggests if you cant re position your kit then S-Video may be a viable option - its gives away a bit of Picture quality to RGB but doesn't cost anywhere near as much to run long cables; though at 20m you may still want to budget for a signal amp with variabel line drive (£120).

Best regards

Joe

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Bobby_dazzler

(This post seems to be out of sync with our last replies)

I have to disagree :)

We've already told you what to buy - the problem is deciding if its worth buying or not!!!

Its not rocket science or difficult to get the kit required its just not available for £2.50.

RGB is preferable to S-Video but about four time the cost if you want to run 20m of cables through your loft space.

S-Video will give you very acceptable results using a 20m S-Video cable (£45.00) and an S-Video Line amp (£120).

Your SKY+ has S-Video out and your DAV has an S-Video Input so you can use that to switch between the SKY+ and the DVD.

You'll want a TY-42TM6BB S-Video board in the PWD6 display (around £110).

That's it - its simple!

Best regards

Joe

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK so you need get 3 video signals to plasma, all units are capable of either Scart (RGB) or S-video. Taking the long up to the loft and out again cable route will be expensive! and risk video quality, so consider alternative routes, 10m is a lot more achievable! there are multiple possiblities once you find an alternative cable route. along skirting, in wall cavity, under floor etc are all possibilities. keep cable run down to 10m and £100 should sort it all.

9. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help but the dav does not have s video it only has scart and composite. so it looks like dav to sky via scart in to the vcr input and sky to PW6 via s video.

okey dokey

thanks for your help