1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA input problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by monocle, Jun 15, 2003.

1. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have my new LG PZ14, which I am happy with apart from discovering that it won't auto switch widescreen......and suddenly beginning to panic about screen burn if I have a logo channel on for more than an hour or two.

My problem is to do with using the plasma as a monitor for the laptop. I have the tuner and have tried going via the tuner and also direct in to the back of the plasma but no joy. What happens is I initially see the Windows logo as the pc starts up on the plasma, but then it disappears before Windows has fully loaded and RGB/PC shows no input signal. I have a feeling this may be to do with the laptop and not the Plasma but wondered iof anyone else has had the same experience. Couldn't find anything relevant on a search. Thanks.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got dual display options enabled in windows itself? - set to primary monitor as VGA, secondary as laptop LCD.

If I set LCD only it'll disable S-Video and VGA output on my lappy.

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monocle; I have the EXACT same problem as you; tried changing the res on the PC and all sorts... Gave up in the end; :blush: so I am interested if anyone manages to do this! :smashin:

4. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The initial screen which Windows shows at startup is a tweak mode of 320x200 (I think it is 320x400 or possibly 320x480) at 60Hz. This has a horizontal frequency of 31.5kHz. This mode is very close to the standard progressive NTSC image. I found the manual for the PZ11 and PZ15, I hope the info is the same.

640x480 @60,66,73,85,90,100 and 120Hz (horiz freq between 31.5 and 64kHz).
    800x600 @56,60,72,75,85,90 and 100Hz (horiz freq between 35 and 64kHz)
    1024x768 @60,70,75 and 85Hz (horiz freq between 48 and 68kHz)

It appears that the screen need a horizontal line frequency between 31 and 68kHz and a refresh between 60 and 120Hz. It should work in the range between these value but if you have problems just try one of these exact rates.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    VERY strange! I've just been trying to sort out this EXACT same problem today after experiencing problems connecting my laptop up to a PJ at the weekend. Have been firing off mails to the guy who built my laptop all day! :(

I'd initially assumed that it was due to my laptop's display settings being set to "CRT Only" instead of "CRT & LCD" in the BIOS? I've finally managed to change it (after faffing about trying to obtain the Bios password!!) but haven't had a chance to test it out as of yet. Tomorrow will be the day of judgement! It appears to work absolutely faultlessly if you just hook up the VGA output to a standard monitor? :confused:

One thing that came up in the volley of emails was whether or not the input device was SVGA compatible - the guy who mentioned this is EXCEPTIONALLY good at what he does, but I don't understand the reasoning behind him saying this - maybe someone could explain how this would effect things to me in "simpleton speak"?!

I'll be very interested to see what the outcome of this is...

K.

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    :confused:

I was running at 1024x768 @ 60hz and still had the problem :confused: These are my default settings...

K.

7. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know on IBM laptops you have a toggle between laptop screen, external VGA port and both. No idea if this helps. Have you tried plugging the laptop into a standard monitor just to check that an output is being produced.

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, this was the first thing I tried - the output works flawlessly when connected up to a standard monitor. I've also tried toggling the different display options - LCD/PJ/Both but to no avail :(

K.

9. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it say anything about connecting a PC to the screen in the manual. I can only find one for the PZ11 and PZ15 on the web not the PZ14. All it says in the PZ15 manual is to change the input to RGB and make sure that the screen resolution is 1024x768 or lower. It does also talk about fine tunning the setup but nothing more technical.

It does seem very strange.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's very strange. I connect laptops and PC's to plasmas about 5 times a day, never had a problem except when presented with a client's ancient compaq (W. 3.11) with no external VGA!!!! Done a PZ14 before, no problem, I'd suggest concentrating on the laptop settings.

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I know that it's definitely settings in my laptop - we've had another PC connected up to the PJ for the last year with no problems whatsoever.

I'll be damned if I can figure it out though :confused:

Tried changing the screen resolution to 640x480 @ 60hz today but still no joy. Still works fine with a regular monitor... :rolleyes:

K.