1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA input on Panasonic TH42PWD5UY

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cujimmy, Jan 20, 2003.

1. cujimmy

cujimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked a similar question on an earlier post. Does anyone in the US know if you can connect a DVD with prog scan out to the VGA input using a component to VGA cable? I keep seeing these cables advertised for this purpose but didn't know if you needed a converter box or whether you can connect directly.
    Anyone have any idea?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The PC port on the D5 can only be configured for RGB input I think. f this is the case then you would need a transcoder to turn YPrPb to RGB colourspace.

The HD15 (VGA) connector is just a socket that has 15pins that can be used for sending all sorts of signals. Th elead you'd use for RGBHV to HD15 would be the same as the one you'd use for YpRpB to HD15. This is where the confusion lies. It's not a facility of the cable it's the equipment you need to check up on.

Gordon

3. cujimmy

cujimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate the quick reply Gordon. Thanks, I get it now.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    cujimmy

I think part of the confusion is that whilst the Panasonic Plasma VGA sockets are RGB only the Pioneer PDP-433MXE (when fitted with the PDA-5002) can have its VGA port configured for RGB or YPbPr signals; hence the cables you are seeing advertisied.

Also Panasonic do have the option to use the VGA socket on some of there LCD projectors to input RGB or YPbPr - we have supplied quite a few 10.0m 3 x RCA to 15 PIN cables for this purpose.

Trust this helps.

Joe

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh God Joe, I thought I understood all this and now I'm not so sure!
    I'm zero'ing in on the Pioneer MXE with PDA-5002 and I thought I needed Dr John's RGB to VGA converters for my Digibox and a RCA to BNC lead for my Sony NS900V DVD player for component(plus a yucky RCA to RCA for my VCR on composite).
    Now I've looked at the MXE's spec sheet I'm wondering if I can actually just buy a scart to VGA lead for the digibox that will pass RGB and sync on one of the pins within the VGA connector and not need one of Dr John's boxes then?

If that's right it must be unique to Pioneer MXE isn't it?

Simon

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    swarrans

In theory yes the MXE will take an RGB + Composite in on the VGA port (as long as you have the PDA-5002 fitted).

In practice we have found it difficult to get this to work as the Pioneer is looking for a higher voltage signal than most set top boxes are outputting - hence we generally advise our customers to use one of Dr Johns RGB Interface or Converter boxes.

Joe