1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA input on Panasonic TH-42PWD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mc1510, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a Panasonic TH-42PWD8 and have been advised that the cheapest way to connect my DVD player is by using the 3 x RCA component video outputs on the player to the integral VGA input on the screen, using a 3 RCA to VGA cable.

However, I have been advised by another source that this will only work if the output of my DVD player is progressive scan. The problem I have is that my multi-region DVD player (Pioneer DV-737) can only output NTSC in progressive scan, and PAL in interlaced format.

I have a large collection of both region 1 and 2 discs, and need to know whether it is true that the PWD8 will only accept progressive scan via the VGA. If this is the case - then instead of using the VGA input I'll need to get a video board that will allow me to input component video to the screen, progressive scan for NTSC and interlaced for PAL.

Can anyone help with this?

Cheers

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    mc1510

I use the VGA input in the way that you describe, the only criteria that I was told to consider was that the DVD player had to have component out (Not very good with the technical side). The DVDR that I have can do progressive, but I let the screen do that for me as I can see no benefit that the DVDR provides over the screen's ability to do this.

3. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that mean that the screen can take an interlaced video input and display it as progressive scan? I had no idea that was a possibility - I was under the impression that it could only display whatever I put into it (interlaced or progressive). In that case, can I use the component video outs of my DVD player to output interlaced NTSC and interlaced PAL, and set the screen to display a progressive image on either scource?

Cheers

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the screen will always deinterlace if you dont send it progressive in the first place(you don't need to set it to do that)

5. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise that - thanks for enlightening me! So in that case, does it makes any difference whether I send a progressive scan oputput to the screen? Will it make any difference to the quality of picture displayed?

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    it may do.....it really comes down to what does the best job...your dvd or the screen

7. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. As my DVD layer will only output NTSC progressive, then I will probably end up letting the screen do the job and leave the DVD player alone.

Does the screen de-interlace any video signal input, or only if it comes via the VGA input?

Cheers

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    The screen is prog scan so will do that via any input......I've tried a number of dvd players from £200 - £500 and always end up leaving the screen to do it.

9. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very interesting - and helpful. The sales staff at Sevenoaks HiFi assured me that there was no way I could get a progressive scan PAL image from my old Pioneer DVD player, so would need to buy a new DVD player to get the best out of the screen.

Thanks for setting me straight (and saving me the cost of a new DVD player!).

10. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    You could set them straight by turning up with your DVD player, setting it up and proving that it can be done... would straighten them out and completely set your mind at ease.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    I suspect they know it can be done but were hoping to make a dvd sale ;-)...I assume you're not buying the panel from 7oaks?

12. mc1510

mc1510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, AV Sales seem to be doing the best deal at the moment - and in my experience give more honest advice!

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    That's for sure!