1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Input card for HTPC???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello guys,

I need a VGA input card for my HTPC, so that I can display a VGA source on my HS10 projector without having to buy a load of new cables. I have found this site ( http://www.digitalmedia-solutions.co.uk/html/visionrgb_pro.html ) whish sells VGA input cards for PC's, but the single input card is £680 and the dual input card is £850 which is a bit above my budget. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

Many thanks

Rob

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VGA source? I assume you're running DVI to the HS10, but I can't see why you need a "VGA" capture card :confused:

If it's from another PC, you'd probably be better off getting Sony's Multi - VGA cable, HIC30 IIRC.

Still confused as to your requirements though :(

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Kramer,

I have just aquired a Dreamcast console, and it is capable of VGA output. You know that a special cable is required for the HS10 to input a VGA signal, so I thought it may be cheaper to run it via my HTPC. You are correct, my HTPC is connected to the HS10 via DVI.

Cheers

Rob

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pulsar.

Yep, extra cable for VGA into the HS10. Still the cheapest way I reckon (although it's not cheap is it :eek: ).

Other alternative is s-video through capture card/Dscaler out via DVI to HS10. Shouldn't be far behind direct VGA (if at all) & relatively cheap (free if you've a capture card already).

Just get an x-box with hi-def kit & be done with it ;)

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Kramer,

I was going to use s-video with Dscalar and my PB TV-100, but I thought that VGA would be superior. The main reason that I don't want to get the Sony cable is because I will have to swap when I want to use my XBOX, PS2 or Gamecube through component as I don't have a long enough component lead to use instead.

Too many games consoles I guess.:confused: :suicide:

Cheers

Rob