• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vga Hd

S

southstand

I have a Toshiba 37WL56 LCD which has YUV option but no component inputs.

I am currently running my xBox360 using a VGA cable.

The following resolution modes are available:

640*480
848*480
1024*768
1280*720
1280*768
1280*1024
1360*768

Some of these modes make the screen go 'green'...I am guessing that the 'best' resolution to pick is 1280*1024...Am I right in assuming this? Or should I be going for 1024*768 because that's the 'correct' 720p setting...confused!!! Please advise :)

matt_p

Established Member
southstand said:
Some of these modes make the screen go 'green'...I am guessing that the 'best' resolution to pick is 1280*1024...Am I right in assuming this? Or should I be going for 1024*768 because that's the 'correct' 720p setting...confused!!! Please advise :)

The 'correct' res of 720p is 1280x720.

Your screen is 1366x768, so the best res to go for is 1360x768.

S

southstand

But isnt that less pixels than my current setting? Or are you saying I'm best off going as close to the set's native res?

T800

Prominent Member
It depends on whether the 360 or the TV does a better job of scaling the 720 picture to 1360x768.
I would try 1280 x 720, 1280x768 and 1360x768 and see which one looks better.

S

southstand

Oh another quick question...Why does my set have YUV option but no component inputs?!

fatfingers73

Established Member
southstand said:
Oh another quick question...Why does my set have YUV option but no component inputs?!

The VGA on that set will accept component with an adaptor.

S

southstand

matt_p said:
The 'correct' res of 720p is 1280x720.

Your screen is 1366x768, so the best res to go for is 1360x768.

If I select 1280x720 the screen goes very green...looks very corrupt...strange

mate VGA is brilliant! my TV has a native resolution of 1280x768, therefore i set it to that, because it means absolutley no scalling will take place, leaving you with the best picture possible.

Dont be fooled with the situation of, the Larger resolution option the better, if you choose 1280x1024, then massive scalling will take place!!!

Choose the option that is nearest your TVs native resolution, for the best picture you could get

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! didnt you read my post above?

Component is rubbish compared to VGA. Component forces a fixed resolution, meaning scaling will take place. VGA unlocks differant resolutions, meaning you can choose the nearest one to your TVs native res. This is your best option!!

fatfingers73

Established Member
It all depends on the TV, component is far better on my Toshiba (32WLT58) than VGA due to washed out colours and frame rate issues.

S

southstand

michaelT1888 said:

Component is rubbish compared to VGA. Component forces a fixed resolution, meaning scaling will take place. VGA unlocks differant resolutions, meaning you can choose the nearest one to your TVs native res. This is your best option!!

Ok...I'll buy that...it does look good...for some reason I had it in my head that I needed to be as close to the 'official' resolutions in order to see the best picture...:thumbsup:

ye when VGA looks bad on a TV its usually because, the TV has a poor PC input. But dont get me wrong that is a good TV, myuncle has it and its v. smart. But my TV has great PC input through DVI, so VGA easily beats my component cable.

fatfingers73

Established Member
michaelT1888 said:
ye when VGA looks bad on a TV its usually because, the TV has a poor PC input. But dont get me wrong that is a good TV, myuncle has it and its v. smart. But my TV has great PC input through DVI, so VGA easily beats my component cable.

Do you think this is something Toshiba can fix with a firmware upgrade? I'm not that bothered now because I've changed my DVD player for a HDMI one, but it would be nice to have the option to try VGA again in the future. :)

nick501

Distinguished Member
toshiba do the adaptor lead you were on about for £15. plus you'll need 3 phono couplers to join both male ends.

i used to have a 27wl56 and vga is sharper smoother, but component is a pretty damn close 2nd with vivid colours.

you cant lose really.

to be honest that is a really good TV you have and i see no reason for VGA looking bad on it. Try adjusting contrast, brightness or colour manually. I was in Game and i was watching a guy race on the 360 which is hooked up to their samsungs via component, and it made me realise how much better VGA looked

fatfingers73

Established Member
michaelT1888 said:
to be honest that is a really good TV you have and i see no reason for VGA looking bad on it. Try adjusting contrast, brightness or colour manually. I was in Game and i was watching a guy race on the 360 which is hooked up to their samsungs via component, and it made me realise how much better VGA looked

I didn't bother adjusting any of the setting because of the frame rate problems, didn't seem worth it.

mjw123

Established Member
michaelT1888 said:

Don't be so sure my friend - it's not black & white !!

There are some very mixed results so far .......I have both a still far from convinved with VGA

V

v BONES v

I have the Toshiba 37WL56, it has no direct component connections so I am using the VGA input. Everything looks fine...but...Backwards Compatible games will not work over VGA in PAL region. So regardless of the difference in quality (or not) between componet and VGA, there is still a requirement for component.

Tried the YUV converter cable, but I cannot get the Toshiba to recognise the signal - I heard that there were problems with the YUV input on early Toshibas - any news?

S

southstand

I'm interested in resurrecting this thread because of the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

The Toshiba has no direct inputs for component.

Will this mean the only way of connecting it is by purchasing an add-on for use with the VGA input? Will this affect picture quality with HD content?

Am I better off getting rid of the Toshiba and replacing it with a more modern set?

Will the HD-DVD have an HDMI output?

beasty54

Distinguished Member
Backwards Compatible games will not work over VGA in PAL region.

I had my 360 hooked up via VGA on my last TV and i used to play original xbox games with no probs, once you have updated the games using composite (example) the ones i had worked fine, Halo 1 and 2 certainly do

*EDIT* didn't realise this post was old

beasty54

Distinguished Member
I'm interested in resurrecting this thread because of the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

The Toshiba has no direct inputs for component.

Will this mean the only way of connecting it is by purchasing an add-on for use with the VGA input? Will this affect picture quality with HD content?

Am I better off getting rid of the Toshiba and replacing it with a more modern set?

Will the HD-DVD have an HDMI output?

The HD-DVD add on will have no AV output, the only thing connecting it will be a USB cable to the 360

You can still use VGA though but that is the only way to go. Personally i wouldn't by a tv these days that doesn't have vga, component, and HDMI

G

gt123

I'm kinda resurrecting this thread, I'm thinking of getting a 360, but I have the Toshiba 27WL56 TV, which has VGA (with component support), and HDMI.

Is there any way to put the 360 through HDMI? If not, will component work if I get the adaptor from Toshiba (someone earlier in the thread said it won't recognise the signal)? The PC resolution that it supports through VGA is 1360x768, would 360 through VGA support this resolution? and would component look okay (assuming it works)?

I'd prefer to use Component over VGA, just because I don't have separate speakers and the TV doesn't have a line-in. However, I don't want to get a 360, only to find that the Component-in (through VGA) on my tv doesn't work.

ghost5

Established Member
sorry to jump in this discussion. just testing my xbox gamer card (wasnt starting a new thread just for this)

nick501

Distinguished Member
I'm kinda resurrecting this thread, I'm thinking of getting a 360, but I have the Toshiba 27WL56 TV, which has VGA (with component support), and HDMI.

Is there any way to put the 360 through HDMI? If not, will component work if I get the adaptor from Toshiba (someone earlier in the thread said it won't recognise the signal)? The PC resolution that it supports through VGA is 1360x768, would 360 through VGA support this resolution? and would component look okay (assuming it works)?

I'd prefer to use Component over VGA, just because I don't have separate speakers and the TV doesn't have a line-in. However, I don't want to get a 360, only to find that the Component-in (through VGA) on my tv doesn't work.

component doesn't carry sound either. I have this TV awhile back with the 360 connected at first by VGA, Then i tried Component.

Of course the TV has a 'line in' for sound:confused: It's red and white 'phono' inputs. you may need an adaptor though, say a 3.5 jack to phono.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom