1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA - Dual LCD Monitors

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tezdread, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a dumb question (even for me) but...
    I have a dual monitor graphics card that powers two CRT monitors and only has VGA connectors. I would like to buy two LCD monitors to replace the CRT's but would standard LCD's connect directly into this card or would I need converter cables or something?

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I havn't seen any commercial LCDs that are DVI only so you shouldn't have a problem connecting directly.

3. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: n1 stlic, that's what I was hoping, just that all the new graphics cards now seem to have the DVI connector so wasn't sure if that was specific to TFT / LCD monitors and that's what they required...

4. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all lcd mointors still have analoge vga conectors so your ok.

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    MOST LCD monitors will still have VGA, check the tech specs or got to the MF Website.

Its mostly the professional ones that have DVI only. Also note that DVI is a plug standard and can be

DVI-I (Analogue and digital)
    DVI-A (Analogue only)
    DVI-D (Digital only)

To be fair most Graphic Cards are DVI-I and inputs are mor likely to be DVI-D on LCDs. What this means is that DVI is kind of secretly outputiing VGA on a few pins so a simple convertor dongle will make it work with VGA.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cool, as I'll be looking on the budget end of the market I feel pretty safe now that they will allow me to connect to my VGA card with ease.
    cheers all