VGA connection from Sony KLD 46W2000 not at HD res?

pwhite8314

Standard Member
All

I got myself a bargain Sony 46" LED panel last week (46W2000) that runs at full HD res, 1920x1080.

However, I'm got an MCE box connected to it, and the best res I can get is 1024 x 768 (connected via VGA). The grpx card can go much higher than that, so I assume it's the TV that's reporting a lower res than it's actually cabable of. Has anyone else seen this problem, and if so, how did you manage to solve it?

Many thanks

Pete

NX3

Its not the set, your video card not picking up the res...well thats my experience of Bravia and PC hook ups. I don't know the res of your model, mine 1360*768. I had to get powerstrip and set a custom resolution for my video card to work properly with it. Before you do that update your video drivers to the latest available. Do you have a ATI or nvidia card ? You'll be able to get a higher res for sure. I run at that res as I get a 1:1 pixel mapping which is very sharp. I could run at HD resolutions but they you introduce resampling.

So update drivers, it will prob work ok then. If not use powerstrip. Also check in your manual the true resolution of your screen.

pwhite8314

Standard Member
The true res of the screen is 1920x1080.

I tried using powerstrip, but the screen just says that the PC is sending an incompatible signal once I've updated the monitor driver built by Powerstrip.

The card is a twin DVI NVidia 9700 SE. I can plug other screens into it and get higher resolutions, so it's just the Sony panel which seems to be causing the issue.

ssjaronx4

Hi,
I dont own a Sony W series but in order to get your video card to output over VGA you are having to convert from DVI a digital signal to Analouge VGA. What are you using to do this? That could be your problem right there. Why are you not running the PC over HDMI? Youd get a better picture and garrenteed 1:1 mapping. Coverting DVI to VGA is bound to be causing the problem here and if you have a free HDMI port then id suggest using that. Also with an Nvidia card with latest drivers there souldnt be an issue getting 1080p as the tv supports it so powerstripe shouldnt really be needed. Get yourself a nice dvi - hdmi cable and save the VGA for a DVD or 360 or whatever takes your fancy.

mcnaugha

Standard Member
This is one of those fun occassions where you get to say...

RTFM

:rotfl:

If you look near the back of your manual (it is page 41 in mine) you will see that the VGA connection will support a maximum resolution of 1360x768 @ 60Hz.

VGA is analog technology and is therefore inferior to a digital connection, e.g. HDMI. I guess that Sony did not think people would want to use such a high resolution over an analog link.

I have my PC hooked up via HDMI and enjoy native 1080p.

If your graphics card has a DVI port on it... then you can buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

Let us know how you get on if you go down this route.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom