vga conection

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by masonverger1977, Sep 8, 2007.

1. masonverger1977

masonverger1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected my xbox via the vga input on my tv changed the refernce level to expanded and chose a resolution of 1280x1024 i then connected it via the component at 1080i and couldnt tell any difference at all. technically should the 1080i over component be a better picture than 1280x 1024 via vga? i tested it on gears of war

2. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Depends on your TV and it's native resolution...

Post the details to help us out.

VGA is usually far superior.

3. masonverger1977

masonverger1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a panasonic th42 pz70 with a full hd 1080p screen but it wont accept 1080p via vga

4. leew914

leew914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think that 1280x1024 is a 1080p resolution. So any setting on the Xbox will be scaled down by the screen anyway. your TV is full 1080 but will it accept this via the vga port or only by hdmi?

Lee

5. masonverger1977

masonverger1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will only accept 1080p via hdmi

6. ZebraheadDude

ZebraheadDude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No, as component is horrific.

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't think it is a good idea to make such a blanket statement. It all depends on the display as well as being subjective. On my TV component definitely looks better then VGA although HDMI looks better then both of them.

8. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I might be able to offer some informartion on this.

I've got a panasonic PX60, I notice that even with the expanded VGA settings the image, although sharper definately looks more flat and lifeless than over component.

This is comparing 1360x768 for VGA against, 720p and 1080i

1080i looks best for HDDVDs and some games, but you get some motion blurring (invisible in films, but noticeable in games like PES6 which has a high contrast of the players on the green pitch) as opposed to 720p which is a little softer.

I personally chose 1080i every time.

This is in compete contrast to a plasma I owned last summer where the VGA connection looked far superior.

Basically as already said, if your screen can do VGA justice, then VGA will usually look better, it will almost always look crispier either way. But if your screen isn't too good on the VGA input then depending on your preferences and biasedness on interlaced\progressive signals.....720p\1080i....

I think all that translates to is...Unless you know someone on the forum with same setup who has already looked for best connection\settings....its trial and error all the way ;)

(Its also very important to calibrate your display on VGA, more so than component, my panasonic looks almost like VHS until i'd had a good hours fiddling with the contrast\etc....still could never get a juicy pic...but there we go eh :))