VGA, Component, Switchers, Splitters, Converters - How to Capture?

lancealx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal: I'm trying to split a VGA cable/signal from an XBOX 360 console.

1 out must go the the tv/monitor.
1 out must go to a component capture card.

I will be using a HD VGA cable from the Xbox 360 as my source.
I plan to use this splitter:
For only $13.84 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2-Way SVGA VGA Splitter Amplifier Multiplier 400 MHz - Black | 2 Way Active/Powered VGA / SVGA Splitters

1 vga cable will go to the monitor the gamer will play on.

The other signal will need to be converted to component. I plan on using this cable:
For only $2.35 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT VGA to 3 RCA component video cable (HD15 - 3-RCA) | VGA to 3 RCA Component Cables

Then go into my capture card the "HD-PVR":
HD PVR Product overview

The HD PVR accepts both YCrCb or YPrPb.

Will this set-up work? I've been told that the vga/component cable may be a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also I need to be able to expand on this system as eventually I'll need to have 8 xboxes and tv's daisy chained for live switching and controlling.

-Lance

Welcome to the forum :hiya:

The bad news is that what you want to do wont work unless you buy an expensive hardware signal converter. VGA will use an RGBHV signal and this is not compatible with YCrCb or YPrPb :(
Only a few devices can be set to use a VGA port but accept a Component signal - my Dell 2209wa monitor for example. But AFAIK the Xbox will only output RGBHV via the VGA lead and therefore you will need to convert it for the PVR to be able to record via the Component input.

Mark.

The converter you have linked to should do the job you want it to do - but how well it works will only be known once you have tried it. I have used a similar converter in the past that worked very well, but I have seen others that were not very good.
Whatever frame rate & resolution the xBox outputs will be what the PVR will receive via the converter. The converter only changes the signal from RGBHV to Y, Pr, Pb but does no scaling etc.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom