1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA Cable question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ianharvey, May 23, 2004.

1. ianharvey

ianharvey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mistakenly ended up with a M/F VGA cable to connect my JS VGA converter to the new Panasonic TH-42PWD6.

Should I send back the cable for exchange or just get a M2F adaptor for the JS end? Would there be any impact on picture quality?

TIA

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I doubt very much that you would notice any difference if using a gender changer...but others may disagree.

You should be able to picj one up for a few quid from Maplins.

Cheers, Lee

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As simple gender changer could be used. They're about £10 from PC stores and shouldn't cause any problems. You should have bought one of our cables! ;-)

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. ianharvey

ianharvey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. The problem was really the JS VGA box, fancy having an output that required a male plug !?

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just like every PC..... ;-)

All the best,

John.

6. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Is there such a thing as a 'better' VGA cable or are they all built to the same spec ?

7. ianharvey

ianharvey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question. Anyone?

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is defo a differance in quality. if its worth the price differance then only you can decide.

i went from a maplins special > £4.99 to van damme > £45.00(big diff) > to a bettercables £130.00(not so big diff, but sharper and less noise)

9. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just as with all cables, there are good cables and bad cables.

With the RGB2VGA converter you are getting an RGBHV signal from a normal RGB source, you are then using a VGA 15 core cable to connect this to your screen. All video cables should be 75Ohms, the problem with VGA cables in that its very difficult (or possible near on impossible) to get a 75Ohm VGA connector, if you were running a long length most people would recommend that you use a VGA to 5 BNC breakout lead and then use 5 seperate BNC cables going to another 5 BNC to VGA lead. This is because seperate full sized cables with BNC connectors will give proper 75Ohm connections and will have better shielding. Obviously this might be overkill for some, especially if the cable length is only short, but even with short runs, there are good VGA cables and not so good cables. The best are Belden, Silver Serpent, Van Damme etc.. Why are these better, well they use better cable, with better shielding and probably most important, they use high quality connectors (which try to be as close to 75Ohms as possible).

Theres a great writeup on cabling and how it should be done here, its well worth the read.

Also if you want a very good VGA cable, perfect for going from a RGB2VGA to a Panasonic plasma, you might want to look here its a Better Cables Silver Serpent, bargin if I do say so myself.. :D :laugh:

Ryan :smashin:

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Again... :laugh: :thumbsup:

11. ianharvey

ianharvey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I am going 3 metres from VGA box to screen! Currently it's 2 metres, but this isn't long enough and I have no real complaints about the picture so far.

My screen is on the fireplace and the cables come through the wall on one alcove side. The VGA box is currently near where the amp etc (will eventually) sit.

Should I move the VGA box inside the fireplace and run a much shorter cable from there? (using a long scart lead to reach the VGA box)

Easiest would be a decent 3 metre VGA cable for say £50-£75!!

The more I know, the less I understand :) Well, not quite.

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Cheers

Yeah I have always believed in a good quality cable but not excessive cost cable for 0.001% improvements.

Just that I have never really head of a good VGA cable before, that's all.

13. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totally agree re: hugely expensive cables of any sort are a waste of money, simply due to the limited improvement gained for the increase in expense. But a good cable doesn't have to be expensive, it just needs to be made well with the right materials, see the link above..

Ian, for a 3m run I'm sure a normal VGA cable would be fine, though others may know better. You would however want to use as good a cable as possible, again check out Belden, Silver Serpent and Van Damme. If possible its always best to keep runs as short as possible.

Ryan

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's no doubt that you can spend a lot on cables for a modest improvement, but not spending a bit on cables can compromise everything else you've done!

Ryan,
    you're right about 75 ohm cables, it's very important. However, that's also related to the frequency characteristic of the cable, and you've got to get a cable suitable for the intended frequencies which it will be carrying. It's all to do with transmission lines and if they're considered to be distributed or not. A VGA connector could be considered a distributed transmission line *if* the signal frequencies were in the Terra Hertz region, since were in the Mega hertz we don't need to consider the impedance of the connnector. It's the cable which makes the big difference here.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. ianharvey

ianharvey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone want to recommend a place to buy a 3m Van Damme or similar quality cable, cheaply!?

Cheers