VGA cable for XBOX 360

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by forbzie22, Sep 18, 2007.

1. forbzie22

forbzie22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After reading many posts at different sites about 1080p via component on the xbox 360 being available with the latest firmware update i have still decided to buy a VGA cable for my 360.

Apparently the advantages of having a VGA cable will mean that everything will now be upscaled to 1080i or 1080p as my tv can handle both. I have the HD Player addon. My Question is:

What VGA cable would you recommend buying ?

I know the 360 requires some tweaking when watching DVD's over VGA but thats ok if it all pays off. Can anyone see any dis-advantages of using VGA ?

2. dvk

dvk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unless you're going to get an Elite, VGA will get your the best picture quality from your 360 as far as I know. As far as getting a specific VGA cable, isn't the only one available the one you get from Microsoft, or cheap third party ones?

3. forbzie22

forbzie22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate,

apparently not, you can get premium cables like the one below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-GLX360-VGA-3-EU-Cable/dp/B000EDRMCW

was thinking a VGA may be worthwhile as it would upscale normal DVD's to 1080i.

Might wait to test my HD DVD first with component thought which arrives tomorrow, some forums are saying with the latest MS updates you can upscale via component and even get 1080p via component on HD DVD only.

Will let ya know when it arrives tomorrow probably

4. dvk

dvk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh right, I've only seen like "Playtronix"-generic-cost-less-than-Microsoft ones :)

From what I've read about Monster stuff though, apparently they are a rip off, don't quote me on that though. Yeah do let us know, I'm currently using component so would be interested.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Monster = rip off. Better cables around for less. Their console cables are made to look nice as they're the same colour schemes etc. Stick with the original manufacture cables. Same goes for PS cables (except HDMI, where any will do).

6. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I always advise the MS "official" VGA cable there are posts in the LCD forums were people have ran in to problems using 3rd party cables. you spend 100's on a tv why skimp on the cable just to save a few quid.

Curly

7. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Can someone please clarify if you can still get digital optical sound (DTS / Dolby)
    using the VGA? Oh, and Monster isnt a rip off....the image quality through my component is far better than the MS one. And doesnt your tv have to 'support' 1080p thru VGA?

cheers

Walshy

8. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes like the component connector it has a TOS-Link connector on its back.

I disagree, but this has been discussed many times before ( I'm pretty sure the consensus disagreed with you as well) but it aint worth dragging up again.

9. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221

I have tested hundreds of cables throughout the years (digital and analogue) and I can confirm that the Monster component is definitely sharper than the MS one. Unless you can tell me my eyes are lying??
    I suppose you think a £2.50 HDMI is also just as good as a £50 QED too.
    Swivel.

Walshy

Mod Comment - I have removed some of the content so could you please not post in such an abusive manner. An Infraction has also been issued.

10. dvk

dvk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sup aggression, perhaps go get some fresh air.

But I'd probably have to agree with cybrey, when I was buying a TV they offered me a Monster HDMI cable and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the standard one I already had, but that's probably just because I have rubbish eyes :)

11. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    As I said above the 360 Monster cable question has been discussed to death ( . . . . . ) so aint really worth doing again. Your entitled to your opinion after all this is forum for opinions (and discussion).

That depends on the distance being covered. Over a metre I highly doubt in a blind test anyone would be able to tell the difference. Same price bracket but over 15m then I think you would notice the differences. I paid close on £120 for my 10M QED cable ( was 3/4 years ago) mainly because I was burying it in the wall and wanted to ensure it worked. I have another 15M VanDamme cable which I paid a lot less for and I can't tell the difference between the two cables although one's on a 42" screen the other is on a 92".

Anyway thread derailing over I think we were talking about VGA cables for the 360. If in your search for a cable you come across this one stay away from it, I've not found it very good.

12. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Cheers for the advice Cybrey, to be honest I wouldnt have even considered that cable, but much appreciated :smashin:

And apologies for gettin a bit heated before...normally I wouldn't apologise but the moderator asked me...lol kidding!

sorry mate. But the Monster Component is good lol

13. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Apology accepted, and don't worry everyone has different opinions otherwise this would be a very boring forum.