1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA all the way?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve-naive, Oct 21, 2004.

1. steve-naive

steve-naive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post but have been reading the forum for the past 2 weeks trying to make headway into what plasma to buy. I have decided on a PW6 from the recommendations I have seen on here, and AV-Sales seem to have the best offer.

I am intent on building a fully functioning media PC running Microsoft XP Media Center so everything will be on that i.e. DVD player, tuner card (bog standard channels - no Sky or anything), dixv films, photo viewing, etc.

My question is whether running a plasma via a PC into the VGA port on the PW6 will give me excellent pq? I seem to be under the impression it will. Please can anyone confirm/put me right on this one.

Looking forward to your replies,

Steve

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you want to tweek every ounce out of the panny then the DVi card is a worthwile investment..... have a look at the HTPC forum (hometheatre PC) for more tips on software and hardware to run one of these..........

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But VGA will be excellent too. Get a Nebula TV digital card, not an analogue tuner card. Our demo room has an HCPC running through an Infocus projector on DVI, it's fantastic to look at, but a heap of hassle to run. A customer of mine has just reprogrammed his HCPC with a large axe and placed an order for a Denon DVD 1910 in frustration, you have been warned!

4. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hijack your thread, Steve, but I've been pondering this DVI issue for some time and with little real technical knowledge (to make sense of previous threads) am still a bit confused.
    Can I therefore ask -
    If DVI from a HTPC with a digital TV card into a DVI port on the plasma is marginally better than a direct feed into the VGA port (analogue), can a Sky signal go the same way - in other words, can Sky be sent through DVI from the HTPC into a DVI port for a better picture? And(!!!).... where does SDI modding fit into all this? Would the Sky box still need to be SDI modded for the DVI route through the HTPC to keep it digital as opposed to the anologue conversion in a sky box and into the VGA port?
    How is Sky received when using a HTPC?

Apologies again for the hijack, Steve, but its time I got to the bottom of this!!

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with everyone :)
    Hornydragon is right, the DVI option is technically better as it removes a conversion process - though bear in mind that VGA technology is tried and tested and can produce excellent quality at much higher resolutions and refresh rates than required by plasma screens, so it shouldnt be written off just because it isnt digital.

MAW, yes you are right, HTPCs are super-flexible , but also with that comes complexity. The key is to treat them as appliances, get a working configuration and then resist the temptation to tweek / install the latest drivers or whatever..

finally to your question ndog. Yes, a Sky signal can go digital all the way as you state via SDI. That is the *only* way you can do it via Sky as there are no PC satellite cards that can decode a Sky signal. I mentioned before how VGA is *very* close in performance terms with DVI, to the extent that it is hard to tell them apart on a plasma. SDI versus analogue out of Sky though is much more apparent though and therefore is certainly worthwhile.

Receiving it in to the PC is easy, you just need an SDI capture card , see http://www.pluggedin.tv/cat--Video-Processors--Video+Processors for more information.

The PC output can then either be DVI or VGA depending on the capabilities of the PC graphics card.

If you need any more information then please let us know.

regards

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No tweaking, I'll go for that, but ours has never quite reached the stable state. We use Xlobby, and it's not really quite at the beta testing stage still. Then my partners bought an ipod and fouled up the music directory structure....