1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VFD in standby

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Miron, May 3, 2005.

1. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Another question that I guess Steve or John might answer.

Last night I entered my living room in total dark and realized that not only three blue LEDs were slightly glowing in the dark (AV32RDP , DVD32R, T32R - all in standby of course) but also two VFDs showed slight glowing (T32R and AV32R). Actually thin horizontal lines were visible. DVD32R VFD was absolutely dark.
    This can be seen in total darkness only .

Is this supposed to be so, or do I simply have front panels from ancient TAG times?

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's the heater wires of the VFD and that is normal for this type of display technology. When in standby the products are actually still running apart from blanking the display and muting the outputs, based on the reasoning of optimal performance as soon as you switch the thing out of standby.

3. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Steve as always. Any good reason why top loader shows none of these "heatier lines"?

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The DVD32 has a standby transformer, so switches off the main power supply when it's in standby. No power to heaters = no gloooow! The 32R and T32R with analog audio outputs don't have software controllable PSU's to ensure optimal performance. All rather purist kinda stuff but at least keeps the house warm and the electricity companies in profit! ;o)

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Would this sort of "almost full load" standby "feature" of our much loved AV's actually be allowed these days on a new bit of kit?