Vestel 801 twin record firmware upgrade problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by AJBek, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hi there I recently bought one of the old 801 record one watch another vestel clones out of asda (durabrand pvr80). Was only 70 quid so I thought I would give it a go. It worked ok initially but I found the ability to only record one channel a pain so I thought I would try the twin record upgrade.

I downloaded the files from off here and got the correct serial cable. I followed the instructions to the letter and everything went exactly as described in the guide except at the end when I reset the box and all it did was say "starting" on the front panel. The hard disc didn't spin up and no picture appeared on the TV. I tried downloading the firmware again and again all the correct information appeared on the PC screen but on resetting the box it just sat there with "starting" on the screen. I even tried resending the 4.9 single record firmware but again no luck.

The box was one of the ones with "freeview playback" on the front so I am not sure if they are different and the twin record upgrade does not work with these.

I ended up taking it back to asda and just kept quiet about what I had done. They exchanged it under the 28 day guarantee and I got a proper twin record thomson in its place which apart from the irritating hard drive noise in standby seems a much better machine.

However I am still a bit confused as to why the upgrade did not work as it seems to have worked fine for everyone else who has done it.

Any thought would be welcome.

2. clemenzina

clemenzina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If the Asda PVR had "Freeview Playback" on it, then it was not a PVR80 and therefore the upgrade would not work: Freeview Playback PVRs are already twin-record. Somewhere on the machine and/or on the box should have been the reference T810 or T816 or T825. Only the T810 is appropriate for upgrade, it's the only Record1/Watch1 version. Are you absolutely sure it didn't say DTR80, which would be a Vestel T816?

A bit late now, as you are asking after the item's gone back to the retailer :(

I would be very interested to know exactly what Thomson you bought that you considered to be better than the Digihome/Dual, as I am considering purchasing another PVR. The first Thomson I bought froze after a few weeks, never to thaw out despite all efforts :rolleyes:

clemenzina

3. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yeah I know it is a bit late, I really should have held on to it till I got an answer on here but I had things I wanted to record last night and didn't want to be stuck with nothing. The box said pvr80 on it but I think it said DTR80 on the receipt. Now I am not sure what it was. It was definately watch one record one only as it said on the box "watch one record one" and when I tried to pause live TV while it was recording it would not let me. The instructions also said it was watch one record one but they were pretty poor TBH.

However it also said "freeview playback" on the box and had the event and time settings in the planner which I believe is part of the new freeview playback firmware.

My only thought was that asda are perhaps putting the new machines in the old boxes as it defiantely said watch one record one on the box as well as freeview playback which is bizarre.

TBH I am pretty close to going back in to Asda and seeing if I can get my old box back especially if it is twin tuner as the thomson box which seemed so good intially is driving me mad simply because it never shuts down. I have no problem with a bit of hard drive noise watching TV but this box does it even in standby 24 hours per day which must waste so much power. The vestal is much better in that respect. I also don't like the lack of a front display on the Thomson and the software especially the epg is much easier to use on the vestal. If I can get my old box back does anyone have a copy of the firmware for the later boxes? It might download itself overnight but in case it doesn't it would be good to know.

4. clemenzina

clemenzina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I didn't mean to scoff by saying it was 'too late', I meant 'too late for my reply' :)

Yes, it looks as though you got a wrongly boxed model with the wrong manual, if it said Record1/Watch1. If you exchange again and you get a model DTR (either 80 or 160, according to the size of the drive), there is no software to download for it. If you get a PVR80/160, I have the software and instructions for upgrading to dual-record. BUT, be aware that the PVR80/160 only has 32mb RAM and does not cope well with all it's being asked to do with the dual-record software, so you will need to delete as many channels as possible to give it a chance - for example, you can wait a-g-e-s for the Guide to fill up if it's got too much to cope with, and you can get skipping and freezing.

Good luck :)

clemenzina

5. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hi there :) thanks again for the reply. I am pretty sure you are right. The labelling in asda was a bit confusing with multiple prices for the same thing but I think I may well have got a 816 in an old box. I never really tried to twin record with the vestel as it said watch one record one on the box. I tried to upgrade to twin record straight away which seems to have been the wrong thing to do:(. Armed with the info you have provided I will head back in and try to get a twin record version of the vestel. Hopefully asda will be OK about my stupidity and exchange it again:(. I would definately recommend the vestel over the thomson for the better software and egp. The only reason I went for the thomson was for twin record but if the vestal has it I will definately go back. That constantly running hard drive of the thomson is just so irritating.

6. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Have found the receipt for the original box and it was model durabrand DPVR801 so still not sure what vestel model it is based on. I am going back to asda tonight (don't you love 24hour shopping) so will see what transpires.

Edit- was searching though the website that shall not be named and found this thread

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=686682

which could explain my problems lol.

7. clemenzina

clemenzina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Happy hunting, and please let us know how it comes out - I've got an Asda in Clapham Junction, quite a short train journey for me.

clemenzina

8. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Got it sorted now. I went back to asda and exchanged the thomson for another vestel durabrand but made sure it said T816 on the box. Got this home and installed and it is working fine. This one defiantely had twin record working despite saying "record one watch one" on the box. I think my last one was a t816 as well so this has all been a bit of a muck up from the start :oops: Still thanks to clemenzina for your help. Without your information I would never have got this sorted.