Vesa mounts standard - like heck they are!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by richard plumb, Nov 5, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    had a nightmare today with a wall mount for my 37WLT58

B&Q had an AVF 'nexus' LCD500 for about £25. Rated to 30kg so should be OK. I rang them up and they confirmed they had the 37wlt58 on their database as compatible with that model. Lovely.

mount is advertised as vesa standard, Toshiba has 200x200 vesa standard mounting holes. No problem, or so I thought.

First problem - the screws the Toshiba needs are M6. The holes in the bracket won't take M6 size, and the '3 different length' screws so conveniently supplied are all M4. Very 'standard'.

So I drill out the mount holes a little, go and buy some M6 bolts and mount the plate to the TV.

Mounting the other part to the wall was straightforward, but it was IMPOSSIBLE to mate the two together. You have to angle the top part towards the wall to hook it in, then drop it down. Otherwise the bottom part of the bracket gets in the way. I did this on a dry run first and it was fine. However, it was much less fine with a blinking great TV mounted on the frame. The TV itself wouldn't let the mount angle at all. I can't beleive they never noticed this.

I ended up hacking off the bottom bit of the mount with a jigsaw so I could hook it on flat. It wasn't doing anything structural anyway, just there for a couple of screws to stop the TV moving forward (which it won't do anywhere)

Surely using the VESA logo or name should mean I buy a TV and a mount and they'll just work?

Bah humbug :/

2. disco22

disco22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad Luck richard, maybe thats why its so cheap? Unless of course there is two VESA's, because the germans pronounce the 'V' as a 'W' you know! ;)

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    the only thing making me feel better, is that its up now and is blooming gorgeous :D

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    It is often said that the best thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from :(.

Your one consolation is that you can have confidence that the M6 screws will keep your TV in place. I'm sure someone has carefully calculated thet 4mm screws are sufficient to support a heavy TV, but I'm not convinced :)

5. Funster

Funster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Richard

£25 for a bracket is a bargain, but you get what you pay for. Having seen the bracket and the way it mates together I would have given it a miss. But like I said before elsewhere, once the TV is up, it will be up for a long time before you need to move it again. :)

Re VESA mounting, I think it relates only to the position of the mounting holes not what thread is used or even the size of hole. Pretty rubbish really if the standard is only half a standard. I looked into this when getting my wall mount an it wasn't clear at the time either.

You were lucky you only had to drill the bracket, with my previous LG panel I had to ream out the mounting holes on the TV's rear plastic covering because they were way off position. :(

Oh, I nearly forgot. Isn't it lame that the position of the underside connectors on the WLT58 series are off to the side away from the opening. You try and plug some thing in while the TV is on the wall. :thumbsdow

Enjoy the TV.

Cheers

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    well TBH I did try mating the two pieces in B&Q, and it worked ok. Didn't occur to me that there would be overhang from the TV getting in the way. Surely it affects all TVs with that mount?

Still I'm happy that the bit I chopped off is in no way load bearing.

although the TV part is only held on by 3 screws, as the fourth one was out of alignment (well done Toshiba!)

sockets are annoying. The extra distance means the cables I bought aren't long enough, so I'll have to extend them later on. Plus I had to pull open all the trunking so I could attach the cables while the TV was still on its pedestal stand, then lift it off and onto the wall. Managed it on my own though, so not too bad.

The power lead luckily was long enough - very stupid IMO for Toshiba to hard wire the power lead considering how many people will wall mount it.

7. Funster

Funster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, tell me about it. I had to use a hole cutter and make a 2" hole in my chimney breast to get the bloody plug through.

Also, I am really bugged by the rear connector positions. I wanted to connect my laptop to show some photos but I couldn't plug the VGA cable in with the TV on the wall. God it bugs me. :eek:

Other than the that, I really rate it. Watched Star Wars Episode III earlier this evening and it was awesome.