1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

verygood lower midrange and upper/mid bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sweden, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have Arcam A90 amp and Arcam Dv88+ cd/dvdplayer and im looking for speakers that have verygood lower midrange and upper/mid bass. i want very good definition of drums and voices.

Recommendations Please !

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sweden,
    What is your budget? Would you consider second hand/ex dem?

3. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    between 1000-2500 £. yes second demo ex could be interresting.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That sort of budget you have a lot of choice and most are good.
    Top of the list would be the PMC OB1 £2500 retail. Transmission line speakers that have superb bass extension, very dynamic and transparent with the right equipment. They do require quite a lot to really make them sing though. A very nice smooth and enjoyable sound.
    Next would be Monitor Audio GR6 again a big 3 way £2300 retail again a very well made 3 way speaker. Packing plenty of punch but has a tendency to be bass heavy, smooth midrange and treble. Not suffering with a tendency towards brightness like the silver range.
    Another would be JMLAB 926s. Retail is around the same price as the other two. Lot's of people use and like these speakers they are IMHO a bit forward and a bit bloated in the midrange and bass. They may however, be just what you're looking for!
    Obviously these would all be cheaper second hand or ex dem.

What are you currently using?

After saying all this I don't think you'll get what your looking for by mearly replacing your speakers. Quite the opposite in fact. All of the speakers I have suggested require a lot more power than your Arcam A90 can put out.
    To get a more defined bass and midrange you may want to look at getting 1 or possibly 2 power amps and bi or tri amping the speakers (one amplifier drives the bass and midrange and one drives the High range - Bi Amp. Tri amp - One amp for high, one for mid and one for bass) This would certainly give you more definition in the Bass and midrange. You would in effect be doubling or trebling the power to the speakers.

One problem with speakers is the better your speakers the worse the flaws in your system sound. This is not always true but generally speaking a £2500 set of speakers will need a source and amplification to match. You will often find lesser speakers with higher quality amplification and source will sound better than higher quality speakers with lesser source and amplifiaction. The reason for this is the speaker will only reproduce the signal that is sent to it. Of course you have to strike a balance. £5000 of CD player and amplification possibly won't be that good on £300 speakers!

Obviously these are my own opinions and many will disagree with me but I hope this gives you some information that helps you make an informed decision.

5. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thank you for all,
    At the moment i have :
    arcam dv88+ as cd
    audioquest jaguar interconnects
    Arcam A90 amp
    audioquest gibraltar speaker cables
    and old canton karat 40 4ohm 90w speakers.

I also now that cables do differences so maybe i sell these cables and buy another brand for these do not fit my taste. perhaps tara labs ?
    Or maybe you know cables that are good in liow midrange upper mid bass ?

So it should be better for me to get arcam p90 and biamping and get cheaper speakers ? how many speakercables do i need for biamping 2 or 4?
    Could you recommend good speakers from 0- 1500£ that should fit my taste ?

Kind regards
    Mats

btw are you a hifisalesman ?

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sweden,
    No i'm not a Hi Fi salesman!!!! :laugh: I'll have to change the way I reply to these posts if people are starting to think that!

I wouldn't dash in and change the cables just yet as adding the P90 may give you the difference you are looking for. The cables you're using are unfamiliar to me so I can't comment on how they sound.

You would need either 2 standard speaker cable or 1 bi-wire cable for bi amping.
    I use CAT5 (Computer Network cable) as speaker cable and find it to be excellent. Others use Heavy Gauge electrical cables. These can also be good. You can save yourself some money this way, leaving you a bit more for the equipment. There's lots of advice on the cables section of this forum.
    With regards interconnects I've found this company make some very nice quality cables http://www.hifi.org.uk/
    Nordost is another one worth looking at. And the CHORD company.

With regards speakers any of the ones mentioned in my original reply would be within your budget second hand.
    If your looking for new then Maybe the Monitor Audio GR20, PMC FB1, These are both capable speakers and can produce good bass and have a smooth top end. Going slightly lower you have the Monitor Audio Silver series or perhaps the Quad 22L.
    Whatever you decide you need to try and arrange a demonstration in a shop or preferably at home with your own equipment and cables and see what you think.
    Good luck