Very Weird Goings On With My NAT!!!

Mr Cole

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router and have recently been having problems with my NAT set to STRICT. Managed to forward the required ports a little while back and my NAT was showing as OPEN at last, UNTIL I switched everything off!! Now, everytime I switch my 360 on the NAT is back on STRICT, BUT, here's the weird bit..........I test my Xbox Live connection and the NAT shows as STRICT, I stay on the test page, run upstairs and unplug the router then plug it back in. I test my connection again and now the NAT is OPEN!!!

This seems to work everytime but only consistently when I'm on the test connection page. I've tried unplugging my router then plugging it back in just before I boot up the Xbox but is doesn't work.

Am I stupid or have I missed one very important setting in the router setup?? I have my Xbox IP address reserved, UPnP set to ON, In the DMZ etc. Any help to rectify this would be greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue what else I can do now, other than throw the whole package in my garden pond!:mad:

Like I've said before. That router does cause the 360 to mis-report its NAT status. As long as you dont have any problems joining games.. dont worry about it.

Don't get hung up on NAT... :thumbsup:

ShadowmanUK said:
Like I've said before. That router does cause the 360 to mis-report its NAT status. As long as you dont have any problems joining games.. dont worry about it.

I know what you mean, this NAT business is taking over and doing my head in big time. The only thing it stops me doing (as far as I know) is joining Tournaments on PGR3. Haven't really tried it with anything else recently but hopefully it's okay.

Thanks again
:smashin:

ShadowmanUK said:
Dont let NAT rule your life folks :lesson: :D

Okay, here's my query for those that may know more about this than me...

When I got my 360 I expected to have to open up firewalls and port forward and DMZ the thing. But I plugged everything in and the 360 diagnostic reported everything fine, including NAT. This is with no port forwarding, no DMZ, nothing. Out of the box the 360 claims to be fine.

But my in-game experience of late would lead me to believe that it's not open (my bro recently got a 360 and cannot connect to games I host) -- if my 360 network test tells me that NAT is open, is it possible that it is wrong? As I can see no way it could possibly be open with my network setup, or with my experience in-game.

I ask out of curiousity, I have a new router coming this weekend, which is why I never got round to DMZ'ing the 360 on the current one -- I knwo what I need to do, I just am a little puzzled by what the 360 is reporting.

If it's reporting open, it probably is (using uPnP) - get your brother to check his NAT settings, I'll bet his says moderate or strict.

ShadowmanUK said:

Despite posting on several different forums about this (I have the same Netgear router). This is the first time I have seen a comment such as yours. :smashin:

My NAT has always reported as strict but, as I don't have connection issues, I haven't worried about it. Still, it's nice to see that it's not just me. :D

VILLAn66 said:
Despite posting on several different forums about this (I have the same Netgear router). This is the first time I have seen a comment such as yours. :smashin:

My NAT has always reported as strict but, as I don't have connection issues, I haven't worried about it. Still, it's nice to see that it's not just me. :D

Hehehe

Yeah it just seems to be the 614 & 624 that do it. No idea why.... but as long you use UPnP, or portfowarding or a DMZ it works fine, no matter what the test says.

My bro has the same router and it puzzled me for a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom