Very weird DAC optical audio to RCA problem. Please help.

xilofone

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my problem:

I have a set of 2.1 Logitech speakers to my TV via DAC (optical audio out to RCA).
Worked fine for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden no audio output.
The speakers are always left on.

Now for the Weird part:

1. when turn the TV on there is no sound. If I unplug, and plug back in, the left RCA cable, that is connected to the subwoofer, the sound comes through.

2. if I change the input on the TV, from optical to TV speakers, there is no sound if I change it back to optical. Again, if I unplug/ plug the left RCA, sound comes back.

3. If I unplug/plug the optical cable sound is gone. Again, if I unplug/ plug the left RCA, sound comes back...

Also, as soon as I unplug the left RCA plug, sound comes through the right speaker and the subwoofer.

No settings were changed on the TV and audio output is set to PCM

My TV: 43UK6200PLA: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UK6200PLA)
The DAC I got from e-bay, similar to this one: Optical Coaxial Toslink Digital to Analog Audio Converter Adapter RCA R/L Cable | eBay

Thank you for your help :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
How are you powering the DAC, from the listing it includes an adapter cable to power by USB, however some TV ports might not be up to powering the device. If you're using a port on the TV then I'd suggest trying a decent plug in adaptor or charger to at least eliminate the power requirements.

How are you powering the DAC, from the listing it includes an adapter cable to power by USB, however some TV ports might not be up to powering the device. If you're using a port on the TV then I'd suggest trying a decent plug in adaptor or charger to at least eliminate the power requirements.

I'm powering it via an usb port on the TV.
Will try an adapter. Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
I'm powering it via an usb port on the TV.
Will try an adapter. Thank you for your reply!
No guarantees but it's worth a try. I had weird flakeyness when I tried to power a Chromecast audio from a TV port which was solved by using a decent supply.

Problem persists when connected to a usb psu. I've connected a different set of speakers and headphones to the DAC with the same results. Also tried the optical output from my set top box without any luck. Somehow the DAC must have become faulty.
I'll have to try a different DAC to see if it works.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom