1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very very confused please help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DM 73, Aug 22, 2005.

1. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    hello,
    I'm going to take the plunge in the next few months and buy a hd plasma (42") and next year also buy a PS3,from what i've read the ps3 is going to use 1080p,being new to this what is the difference between 1080p and 1080i :confused:
    I've got a budget of £3000 and was thinking about either the panny pv500 or the pioneer 435xde which both use 1080i i think, or should i wait for the new pioneer,very very :confused: :confused: any advice would be most welcome

2. intraclast

intraclast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1080p is progressive scan, 1080i is interlaced (see here for an explanation). As I understand it though plasmas are not as suitable as LCD for gaming because they can get image burn where LCD do not.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    And LCD's aren't as suitable as Plasmas due to image lag

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    You're a fair bit behind the LCD times scarty - LCDs don't suffer lag and haven't done so for probably nigh on a year or thereabouts. Current gen panels have that issue licked, for the most part. Still one or two cheap no-name brands using older panels or poor drive electronic design that won'y have it sorted.

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    not all LCDs are 8ms or less and hence image lag is still a problem, even on Branded models,

And don't forget that LCDs can't do real blacks.

6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    8ms? Unless you've got a source displaying at 125 frames per second you don't need that. Anything <20ms is fine.

I've *never* seen lag on an LCD in the last 3 years, and they all have no problem with black.

7. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Try watching a Freddie Flintoff 90mph ball or any fast moving sport and you will see lag

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've been watching plenty of cricket, football and I don't have any problems with lag on my Hitachi lcd at all. The latest generation screens really have pretty much got this problem sorted.

Blacks are always going to be a problem, but they're certainly no worse than plasma. With appropriate ambient lighting, blacks look completely black. Problems only arise when watching in a totally dark room.

9. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    maybe lag is the wrong word, lets try blurring instead

10. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Blurring was what I was referring to. None on mine- tennis, football, cricket... everything that should cause problems on LCD is pretty much sorted now. I've seen some appalling quality on screens that were top-of-the-line 18 months ago, but the latest gen screens give excellent quality.

There's very little quality difference between plasma and LCD, I would say that the only deciding factor between the two technologies is size. If you want <37" go for LCD, if you want >37" go for plasma.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    LCD lag issue is history now as far as I am concerned. Don't see to many people complaining about Qualia lags :) Re LCD not doing blacks, well neither do plasmas! A quick measurement of contrast rations for plasma and LCD really does not show much difference when properly set up, a quick look to some current independent testing, say HCC, will show this. They are competing technologies both with strengths and weaknesses. I don't think there is an outright winner. Long term I think LCD will destroy the plasma market but we may well other technologoes reaching the market by then. My money is on LCOS as has been for years.

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    This is the HD TV forum, and the question was about 1080i and 1080p. Not about competing technologies that have their own forums.

DM 73; did you mean that you wanted to be able to see 1080p on a display and fully resolve it, or just have a display that could accept that input and down-scale it to it's own resolution (say 1024 x 768)?

Unless you actually want a flat panel display to use as a TV right now, you may want to wait until the source is actually available. At that time, displays will be better and cheaper. Also, you may want to consider a display rather than a TV (with built-in tuner etc) as you will get more potential for better performance, again at less cost.

Nick

13. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Cheers nick :smashin: ,i'm mainly after a HD plasma for watching DVD's ,sky and HD sky (when it comes out) but i also intend to use it for playing games on the PS3 and watching Blueray discs on PS3.I was worried if i got one that did not support 1080p i would'nt get the best out of the new playstation.I'm a bit new to the plasma scene so was just after some advice,also i was hopeing to get some opinions on the 2 i was thinking of getting :D