1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very vague Hifi Query: Which model to buy??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MEGAginge, May 16, 2005.

1. MEGAginge

MEGAginge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want to buy a full system (Nb; NOT seperates.. one complete unit) and have a range of £180-270 to work in. Looking for something with a seperate sub if at all possible, even if just a repeater on the same channel.

Any recommendations at all? There used to be a good Sony range in this category but I dont think it exists any more.. (Im thinking of the MHC-RG55S in particular)

Ta for any responces.

2. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It may not be posh hifi but the same principles to buying apply.

Try and find a shop with a listening room. We have a Hughes nearby who stock one box solutions but don't have them set up in the listening room. If they want your business, ask for them to put it in the listening room and give it a go. Take some of your favourite CDs and see what you like.

If you ask nicely and don't mark or damage the system, they may let you audition the system at home.

Good luck!

3. MEGAginge

MEGAginge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone with smth to add?

4. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know a great deal about the speakers that come with it, but Richer Sounds are selling the Cambridge Audio 540V with a set of sat/sub

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-540V-PACK

I would suggest that you get this and then spend 70 or so quid on a half decent pair of main L/R speakers, something from the Mission range (http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MISS-M70S-ASST) and you've got a very good value system, I'd say

This is assuming you want 5.1 / DVD capacbility

If it's just music you need the system for then head over to Peter Tyson and get the Denon DM31 system, I think it's about 220 quid. No all in one music system will beat that at the price, IMHO

If it's seperates you want, then it's trickier, certainly if you want AV system. On the other hand, if it's just hi fi, you'll be able to put something together, no problem (esp. if your prepared to buy a second hand bargain, for example)