Very Unhappy Existing Customer

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by markmc2k9, Feb 3, 2009.

1. markmc2k9

markmc2k9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I am just off the phone to Sky quite angry and disappointed. Do they actually care about existing customers? My HD box decided to break down last night after 13 happy months, I was quite gutted because I have some recordings on it which I didn't want to lose but hey these things happen.

Anyway I have 6 mixes + Sports & Movies, as well as their Broadband max service while paying their £10 a month HD charge. I see that they are offering HD boxes as low as £29 these days and although not expecting it to be that low I was expecting a decent deal. I was horrified when they quoted me £260 for box and install! I swiftly told them where they can stick it and cancelled my HD subscription which was tough to do.

Surely the best they can do for existing customers has to be better than £260?

2. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Did you ask simply them to fix your box - which presumably would have been £69-00.

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes I was under the impression that if your box dies out of warranty they will give you a refurb for £69 ? Maybe they would get you to agree to a new 12 month contract or something like that, I would call them back and see if you get any joy with a different person.

4. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you have cancelled your HD subscription then just get the misses to apply for SkyHD in her name instead of yours and you should get the HD box for £49 and an install charge of £30 or something (might even be able to waver it if you have a nice customer representive on the other end). Problem solved.

Oh and with regards to your programmes lost that does not have to be an issue as you can move the programmes from the old SkyHD HDD to a new one:D (please refer to the forums for more information)

5. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    As long as she has a different surname and different bank account to you.

6. markmc2k9

markmc2k9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks for all your comments guys they are extremely helpful. She specifically asked me if it was in warranty and when I replied no she quickly suggested another machine (Which I thought would be the most cost effective option anyway), no suggestion of a £69 refurb just straight on about this ridiculous £260 for a new box.

When they transferred me through to cancel my sub I also mentioned again I am eager to stay paying my £10 a month for a fair price but again no leverage and they were quite cutting about cancelling it. I think I might give them a call again. Sadly thought everyone in my home has the same sir name so creating a new account is a no go.

Sephiroth0000 I had no idea that was possible! I am certainly going to look into that!

P.S. My box is stuck on the red light and completely refuses to go on, there is no sound of the harddrive spinning either. Am I right in thinking that it is completely dead.

7. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Sounds like HDD failure to me. Same symptoms as my previous sky+ box. It's not too difficult to fit a new one.

I put it down to overheating as my Sky+ box was stacked in a hi-fi cupboard.

I've had my Sky HD box on an open shelf since new, I have even put it on 2" stilts. Never any problems.

8. markmc2k9

markmc2k9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Probably a good call, just got a new Yamaha amp which my HD box is sitting right on to of. Looks like all my recordings in definitly gone then. :(

9. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Basically what happens when you phone sky - depends who answers the phone. Judging by the stories on here, you'd think the number went through to a phone box in Paddington, and the girl sticking her number up, was the one who gave you help and advice.

What should happen is:

Your sky setup isn't working.

You phone sky

If you're in warranty they come and fix or replace your box, dish cabling, remove the birds nest from the dish and basically do whatever it takes to get you going again.

If you're not in warranty they come and fix or replace your box, dish cabling, remove the birds nest from the dish and basically do whatever it takes to get you going again, except you have to pay £69.

You wouldn't necessarily end up with a refurb box either.

Incidentally a lot of people moaning about the installation charge on HD boxes (to replace their existing sky+'s), don't seem to realise that the charge, also gives you the 12 month warranty above.

Phone them up and get it fixed.

Good Luck

James

10. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Probably too late now, but if your digibox is still sitting atop your amp, I'd unplug it, remove it to somewhere else, let it cool down for a couple of hours, then try again.

11. jwball

jwball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What you should say is that the equipment sky have provided you is not fit for it's purpose and that they should replace it free of charge.
    Read this quote from your consumer rights

"You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods (five years in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years (or five in Scotland), you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement."

12. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I thought the procedure for this was exactly as GasDad has suggested in his post. Have Sky recently changed their policy on broken boxes? You have me worried as I have a Thomson time bomb myself... £260 to replace is outrageous! :eek:

OP could attempt to fix the box himself, if the problem can be diagnosed. The PSU and HDD are relatively easy to swap out if it is one of the usual suspects causing this problem. It would also be an opportunity to upgrade to a 1TB drive at the same time.:smashin:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  13. I remember when

I remember when

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Had similar symptoms on my 19 month old Thompson HD last week stuck in standby non responsive but also had 1 section of the blue lit no fan or hard drive activity when unplugged then plugged in

phoned sky who started by trying to get me to have the yearly cover plan once I turned that down explaining cannot justify paying that type of money as I hardly watch that much they offered a free callout but a lot depends as others have said on who answers the phone

guy came with I assume new Amstrad box at the weekend broke the seal on the cardboard box and tipped the cables out and remote and said some freebies for you also changed the dish and lnb for a free callout was well impressed so far the new box is working great :thumbsup:

14. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Email in to complaints and state you are unhappy that sky are offering boxes at £49 to any tom dick and harry except existing Hd customers. Explain you cancel the lot unless you get the box @ £49.99.

My feeling is you will probably get it. Downside is youll have to wait a week or so for a response.

15. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    as other folks have said you should call them again and they should offer to send an engineer out and it should only cost £65, you can even get this for free if you push hard enough, also you should never sit anything on top of your amp as they put a fair amount of heat out as does the hd box and sitting your box on the amp isnt a good idea.

16. Bobba

Bobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly!

17. tapzilla2k

tapzilla2k
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    I went through the online complaints system, got a phonecall from Sky and ended up with a free service call and a refurb replacement for my self installed SkyHD box (which is not bad going, given how Sky usually are about this sort of thing). I basically complained about the lack of regard for customers who are loyal and adopt new technology and are then left out in the cold when Sky push that technology to it's wider customer base after the major kinks have been worked out. My main arguement was that i would cancel my Sky subscription as it would work out cheaper than having to buy a new Sky+HD box in the long run. You just have to be firm but civil when dealing with Sky customer services, the online complaints system seems to be the best of way of doing so for me at least.

18. Fazzbhoy

Fazzbhoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, sorry to jump in here, but I am in a similar situation. I phoned Sky and threatened to cancel if they would not give me the HD box for £49 (have original day 1 thompson HD box downstairs and sky plus upstairs - was looking to upgrade sky plus upstairs to HD). No joy - despite two calls and two threats they would have cancelled me there and then - I stated 'I was angry and wanted time to think'. To cut the rest of this long story short my partner and I live in the same house with different surnames - do I understand right that all I need to do here is actually cancel (partners name) then re-subscribe under my name to get the £49 deal? If so what happens to our exisiting boxes? Will they still work or need to be repaired after we re-join? Any help appreciated.

19. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    never a good idea

20. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you have the space (about 5cm) you could get something like an Antec Veris cooler. This sits on top of your amp and has 2 fans on the underside which cool it. you can then put the sky box on top of it. ;)

21. The Captain

The Captain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had the same issue....called up and threatened to cancel....and did cancel, however I will call up within 30 days and cancel my Cancellation.......hoping they may call back and give me the offer.

22. Khayaletu

Khayaletu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Thompson box records OK but sticks regularly when you play back.
    It is 13 months old and was installed by an independent.
    He says that the cost of repair will be £105 - (gets sent to Poland !) and about 10 days.
    He suggests that I contact Sky and suggest I am going to transfer to Virgin to see if i get a reaction.
    Has anyone had similar problems ?

23. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Phone up sky and tell them you want your sky box repaired - they will come and do it for 65 quid. It doesn't matter where it came from, it is still a sky box.

Why make life complicated ?

If you are a long term subscriber, you may well be able to get this price down.

(I thought and posted it was 69quid earlier in the thread - stand corrected :) )

24. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I have had 3 thompson boxes die on me, first two under warranty, third with a 1TB hdd was out of warranty, so i went the SatCure route, haven't looked back since.:thumbsup:

25. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You should contact trading standards.This 12 month guarantee is a load of cobblers.If the cost of the BOX is actually £399 as Sky say.To break down after 13 months is not acceptable under the sale of goods act.I had a problem with a Samsung Tv that broke down after 13 months.It was repaired free of charge after trading standards contacted Samsung

26. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Indeed - bag of capacitors installed about 12 months ago - not one problem since.

But not everyone wants to do that - but what everyone should know is that sky will fix their system for a fixed fee of £65. (which may be reduced if you talk nicely to them)

27. markmc2k9

markmc2k9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions most of which I wasn't aware of. So I phoned them up last night and asked them about the £65 repair which they confirmed. As mentioned earlier in this thread they will replace with a reconditioned box if the damage in irreparable. Sounds like a decent enough price to me but I didn't bring up the subsidised prices of the boxes they are giving away to new customers and asked them do the company actually value loyalty. I want to send them a email on the my thoughts but there 1000 characters wasn't good enough for me so I have popped a letter in the post just to make me feel better, it is complete with the consumer rights quote.

I will look into repairing it myself but more than likely I will pay the £65 and get a repair job done so thanks to everyone who mentioned that.

28. deanos

deanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126

Dosent matter if its the same surname and bank account

29. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    doesnt matter if its the same address or name either !!

Had a friend who wanted to upgrade from sky to sky+. The account was in his name. His wife phoned and said her husband was leaving here, and it needed installing under her details.

They said they'd have to do it as a new customer :thumbsup: so she get the box plus installation same as any other jo off the street.

Same adress, same (joint) bank account, same surname !!!!!!

30. sikejsudjek

sikejsudjek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't continue to phone them. Send a registered letter to Sky's head office. State that the goods were not fit for purpose and you want a free replacement. State that you intend to go to the small claims court. If the failure is due to the poor power supply, you could search these threads and use the numerous complaints as evidence of a manufacturing fault.

Now do you think Sky would want that to appear in the press ? :)