• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Very Tight Budget System

M

mrmen

Hi Guys I'm new here :hiya:

I'm looking for some advice about getting a starter system for my fairly small bedroom. I'm a student so have very limited funds. .. . .

I would like a turntable and a cd player so I assume I need an amp with a phono stage?

I had originally considered getting a Marantz PM4001 (£100), a Marantz CD5001 (£80) and some Eltax Monitor 3s (£70) and was yet to decide on the turntable, I couldnt really see any for less than £125.

Would I be better off getting second hand bits from ebay with my limited budget? I see the Marantz cd63se is recommended and there are a few on ebay at the moment, however I am lost as far as speakers and turntables go on ebay. Is it possible to get a reasonable turntable for less than £60-70 on ebay?

What sort of amp should I be looking for on ebay, I would ideally like one with a remote control but not essential?

Thanks for the help in advance

matt78

Established Member
For the turntable, go for a Pro-ject Genie. Its £125 brand new and very well made and designed. It'll beat everything else at this price point and is far less risky than buying a secondhand deck. </p>
<p> The CD5001 is well worth looking at. Its another item which is unbeatable (especially at Richers' current price) at the entry level price point. I personally didn't like the PM4001 and think you could do much better with a second hand amp at this price. Don't be afraid to look at some of the older Pioneer and Sansui amps - something like an SA-508 (Pioneer) or AU-2200 (Sansui) would be a great bargain in decent nick. Speakers? The Eltax Monitor IIIs are excellent and a bit of a bargain IMO, although a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS20s on Ebay could also be a great buy.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom