Very thin sub build.

Yellowbus

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m in the design phase for a thin (5.5” max) sub build. Design constraints courtesy of the wife so it’s gotta fit under the couch. I’ve found a few good subs that will fit the bill but I’m looking for any input for drivers others have used and are happy with.

I’d love to go with a jl audio but wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on image dynamics or any other cheaper option.

I have plenty of power to feed it and have lateral constraints that will give me about 1.2 cubic feet.

Which drivers are you looking at? What are the total external dimensions you are working with? Typically 3/4 mdf is used which is going to take a good chunk of your depth and then a lot of drivers have a vent at the backplate so need a bit of breathing room.
How do you plan on powering it?

Have you seen the BOSS builds on here, with subs mounted to the sofa?. Might be worth a look.

Total external dimensions can be 5” tall (woofer can sit about an inch proud but there’s a cross brace in the middle of the couch to work around) by 24”x 45”. As far as back spacing I had considered routing out the part of the box directly behind the motor structure even so much as to just mount a 1/4 aluminum plate behind it to give another 1/2” of clearance. Power for now will be from an XTZ a2-300 but if needed I’ll put a dedicated pro amp on it.

If I’m gonna be mounting a sub to the sofa I’ll just cut the felt on the bottom and put a standard cube sub under it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom