1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Arshad, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Usually DVDs we buy from the store are in what format? I mean these DVDs are interlace or progressive? Are there any 480p DVDs or 720p DVDs?

How about HD-DVDs that are going to be available, will they be compatible with the current plasma tv sets?

I understand that you can make a 720p dvd on a computer, can't you?

The reason I'm asking is the Philips E box only accept interlace signal such as 480i and 576i.

Can anyone explain to me please. Sorry for being so ignorant.

Thanks

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Arshad,

DVDs are either in 480i or 576i, although 720p (or higher res) material can be put on them to be decoded by WM9 like on the T2 Extreme edition. Whether future HD-DVDs will be compatible with current plasmas may depend on the use of encryption schemes like HDCP on HD outputs. It's not certain that component outputs will be fitted on future players, or if they are, they may be "down-rezzed" to output only 480p/576p. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    DVD players output 480i or 576i.

But if the DVD content is film it will typically be stored at 24fps (NTSC) and 25fps (PAL) in progressive frames; easier to MPEG2 encode that way. NTSC players also add the 3:2 pull down as well as interlacing the frames into fields.

StooMonster

4. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot guys for the info. really appreciated.