1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very strange phonecall

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miyazaki, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I had a person phone me recently, while I was out, and they left a voicemail. They didn't say who they were or where they were from, just that they will phone me soon about a "computer check" because of a "security issue" that had arisen.

I have no idea what this means, I think it might be a phishing scam, maybe someone has obtained partial information about me and are looking to clone my identity or something? :eek:

The only other think I can think of, is that I had to have an enhanced disclosure form completed recently, as I am training to be a teacher, but that came through with the all clear about 3 months ago now or so.

I am wracking my brains, and the missus is quite worried, especially as they left no contact details, or even a name. They didn't have a Nigerian accent either. :D

Does anyone have any idea what this might be about? :confused:

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Sounds like a phone version of the standard phishing scam. Maybe they think the two phone call thing will soften you up a bit.

I'd give them a mouthful of abuse if it's not linked to your check.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Definate scam.

A while back there were a whole variety of scams where the hacker/spammer would gain access to your account and max it out with international calls.

Normally they would ask you to press certain keys on your phone or the like. Maybe today's scams are more sophisticated.

Personally, I'd ignore it completely. If it is that important you'll get a letter from the originator or another phone call.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I've told my wife to ask to be contacted by royal mail if ever she is in doubt. No bona fide company would object or make an excuse.

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure that a 'phisher' would take the time to leave an answerphone message, could be used as evidence later. Probably just a wrong number

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If it was an automated phisher?

Random dialling etc?

Or as above just a wrong number...... :)

8. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    HI

i am a registered body and carry out CRB Checks (yoru enhanced criminal record check) i can confirm that if there was any problems they would never contact you by phone but instead by mail, and more likly they would contact the organisation that done the check first, so it sounds like a pishing scam,

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

What worries me is that they had my full name as well! :eek:

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,509
    It doesn't have to be a phising scam...I had a similar phone call, later when I was home I got the phone call again and they identified themselves as HSBC...And wanted me to answer my security questions etc...

Alarms bells started ringing as you have to be aware these days...I was polite and told them that I would not give out those details over the phone unless I call them. I asked them to make a note of their name and number and time of call on my file to demonstrate the authenticity. I then called them back on the numbers that I had of the bank and it all turned out to be correct.

I did tell them to stop that kind of practise as it is totally insecure and they frighten people. So my advice is;
    1. Don't worry in the mean time.
    2. Don't give out any information when they call you.
    3. Ask them to identify themselves.
    4. If it is a company that you know you have dealings with, call them back on a number known to you (not one provided by the person that called you).
    5. If it is a company/person that you have not had any previous dealings with, ask them to put whatever it is they want in writing. And under no circumstance give them your address. If they've got your phone number, they should know you address, especially when they do security checks....

Hope this helps...

BTW I was contacted directly by the CRB not by one of my employers. And also directly contacted by some of the Law Enforcement agencies being utilised in the process. And still they got it wrong ;-) Not worth the paper it is written on...Unless my parents and overseas authorities are all in a big consipiracy for the last 35 years...

11. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with First Direct (AKA HSBC) when they phoned me to sell me a mortgage - after the introductory sales patter they asked me for the letters from my password. I cut short the call politely