• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Very strange external HDD Problem

Novice Member
Hi everyone

I have a problem that's only just started on an external HDD... I have an external 5TB drive that is used to store MKV files I have made from my dvd collection. Basically i made the MKV's with makemkv saved to my laptop then transferred to the external HDD. These are then played via connecting the external HDD to the xbox one

Everything has been working fine (some 400 films), then I decided to save the output from makemkv directly to the external HDD connected to the laptop (rather than copy them over from the laptop). I did this for about 20 films, but now none of the new films will play in either media player or VLC on the xbox (all other films prior to this work fine). Ive even tried making an mkv file the way i did it previously and copy the film to the external hdd but these don play either. If the drive is connected to the laptop all films play fine. Its also worth noting that the films that dont play in media player on the xbox one also dont show a thumbnail tile (just the play symbol)

This is driving me nuts. Any help appreciated

next010

Distinguished Member
Data corruption of some kind, pin pointing the source is the tricky part.

Could be an issue with laptop or a fault in the HDD.

Try running Memtest86+ for one pass on your laptop in case it's faulty RAM as that would corrupt data transfer but still give a somewhat usable computer.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom