Very specific enquiry on volume control with powered speakers

seh6345

I have a very specific enquiry on volume control with powered speakers, namely via a TV remote. I have a slew of old 5.1 and 2.1 PC speakers, some of which are actually pretty good. Rather than shell out on multiple receivers + passive speakers + new subwoofers etc, I'd like to repurpose them for use on the TV's around my house. I don't particularly need surround sound either for the rooms these will be in, so that's not going to be an issue. I already tried this, however, it was pretty impractical because none of my TV's have 3.5mm inputs, and hence I can't control volume via my TV remotes. After some research, I realised I'd need receivers with both HDMI inputs and pre-outs. However, these receivers are rarer than I thought on the used market. Are there any cheaper/simpler alternatives to volume control that would work via my TV remote, or are receivers necessary?

Dolus

I already tried this, however, it was pretty impractical because none of my TV's have 3.5mm inputs

Do you mean outputs, (sound from TV to speakers.). In which case if your TV's have headphone sockets, typically 3.5mm then you would use these. I am assuming that the TV remote would stll control the volume with headphones attached.

Last edited:

seh6345

I already tried this, however, it was pretty impractical because none of my TV's have 3.5mm inputs

Do you mean outputs, (sound from TV to speakers.). In which case if your TV's have headphone sockets, typically 3.5mm then you would use these. I am assuming that the TV remote would stll control the volume with headphones attached.
Yes sorry my bad, none of my TV's have 3.5mm outputs. That would've made this too easy but alas

Dolus

I thought headphone sockets were pretty much on all TVs. They do tend to be hidden. Mine is round the back out of sight. You would never know it was there and when I wanted to use it I had to verify by reading the manual that it did actually exist. :)

seh6345

I thought headphone sockets were pretty much on all TVs. They do tend to be hidden. Mine is round the back out of sight. You would never know it was there and when I wanted to use it I had to verify by reading the manual that it did actually exist. :)
Nope definitely doesn't.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Use an optical to analogue converter which also has a remote volume control then swap out the TV remotes for 1 For All types and re-programme the volume control to work the optical boxes.

If any of the speakers have remote volume controls, you could equally use those instead of the control on the converters.

Amazon product
Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom