Question Very small room, is there a good sound solution?

unicronic

Hi All,

I have a small room aka the entertainment cave.
It's nearly an exact square shape with a flat ceiling.

A rough guess would be 180cm by 200cm.
There is a couch flat against one 180cm wall with a subwoofer down by the right side of the couch.

An entertainment table is directly opposite the sofa and the door is to the right (right if you're sitting on the sofa). When the door opens there is maybe a few cm between the door and the entertainment table.

I have a 55inch LG OLED TV, OPPO 203, PS4 Pro & Nvidia Shield but am looking for something to take my sound to the next level.

As much as I want to not buy a Soundbar I am seeing no other option. I want something that can handle HD audio and ideally Atmos with HDR passthrough.

Given the size constraints, is there a viable non-soundbar route to take here?

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'm very interested in the answer on this as I have a similar setup

Cherrywood

Have you looked at the Cambridge Minx range? Small but pack a punch, I demo'd them at richersounds.

Could also use them as heights for atmos directed down at seating position

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
I probably recommend this at least a couple of times a year - but take a look at eBay. I've bought all of my speakers 2nd hand over the years.

As speaker technology doesn't change that rapidly, but people's desire to upgrade never seems to wane, there are plenty of bargains out there.

In a similar vein to the Minx range mentioned, KEF made the 1000 series eggs a few years back. Very small and discrete, while retaining some WAF factor, as they look a little different to regular 'boxes'. They'll have no problem filling a room that size.

You can go larger, to the 2000 series eggs, and these come with in-built feet/wall mounts. A seriously capable speaker for not a lot of dosh (the earlier models are good, the later models are excellent)!

HTH

PS Forgot to mention amps - any of the current set of Atmos amps (even the cheapest), combined with either speaker option will absolutely trounce any soundbar by a huuuge margin! A £500 total budget should do it.

Last edited:

unicronic

I probably recommend this at least a couple of times a year - but take a look at eBay. I've bought all of my speakers 2nd hand over the years.

As speaker technology doesn't change that rapidly, but people's desire to upgrade never seems to wane, there are plenty of bargains out there.

In a similar vein to the Minx range mentioned, KEF made the 1000 series eggs a few years back. Very small and discrete, while retaining some WAF factor, as they look a little different to regular 'boxes'. They'll have no problem filling a room that size.

You can go larger, to the 2000 series eggs, and these come with in-built feet/wall mounts. A seriously capable speaker for not a lot of dosh (the earlier models are good, the later models are excellent)!

HTH

PS Forgot to mention amps - any of the current set of Atmos amps (even the cheapest), combined with either speaker option will absolutely trounce any soundbar by a huuuge margin! A £500 total budget should do it.
Following on from this - thanks for your input btw - I think I have mentally formulated a solution.

Whilst my room is small the vertical space is vastly under-used. I have received permission to install mount so I believe that 4 bookshelf speakers in the 4 corners should suffice with a center in front of the TV.

There is no way I can have in-ceiling atmos speakers but I was consider mounts that could extend so as to position two downwards facing speakers.

As a basic concept, would this do the trick?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom