Very slow PSN Download speeds

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Darth_terra, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Hi is anyone else getting really slow download speeds from PSN, it seems to have happened since the Batman Arkham knight went live, since then speeds have been very very slow, i'm on a Fibre connection and get around 7Mbps download but on PSN i'm getting ADSL speeds at around 100Kb giving hours to download 3GB when it normally takes me 5min or less,

PS4 network test shows full speed is available it's just not matching during downloads, I'm using a Cat6 Ethernet connection so it's not wireless related and downloads on PC via Steam etc are running fine so the issue seems to be Sony's end I have seen Tweets etc from others with the same issue but nothing as yet from Sony EU / UK on the matter.

2. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,289
    They're looking into it, it seems

If You're Experiencing Sluggish PSN Speeds In Europe, You're Not Alone

[​IMG]

If you’re a PlayStation owner in Europe, you may have experienced some ridiculously slow downloads speeds the last few days. Can you imagine waiting 48 hours to download a game?! That’s a reality for some folks right now.

When a reader alerted me to the fact that PlayStation Network downloads were sluggish lately, I figured we were talking about a few hours longer than usual to download patches and the like.

I remember what it was like in the PlayStation 3 days—it wasn’t pretty. PSN was a slow beast for yeaaaars. (At least, it was for me. I know some folks—unicorns, I believe—got better speeds.)

Sony does seem to be aware there’s something going on. Dealspwn noticed the companyresponded to a thread in their support forums, acknowledging it’s looking into the issue:

We are aware of reports that some users are experiencing slower then usual download speeds from the PlayStation Store.

"This has been reported to our network team for investigation. Please keep an eye on this thread for updates."

How bad is it, though? I asked folks on Twitter to share photos of their download speeds, and it’s kinda unbelievable. If there weren’t so many people having the same experience, I might be inclined to say “hey, maybe it’s just you,” but I’ve received dozens of similar responses.

3. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,277
    yea , i am , having to down load an other game file for PS2 ,it's going to take 5 hours to do , where as it would normally take 5 mins

but as posted above , they know about it .

4. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Thanks for that Cha1ky at Least it's being looked at estimated 3hours to download the current Witcher 3 DLC on a Fibre connection is not good :rotfl:

5. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Same for me too. Thought it was due to Driveclub being released on PS+. Done about 3gb in 4-5 hours not good when i've got fibre.

6. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,277
    seems to be up and working again , got the rest of a file to download which is about 1.5gb and it going to take 5 mins

edit that it took 2mins .

7. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Seems to be slow again. Turned my PS4 on a few mins ago to find Driveclub 10gb update done and 23gb out of 26gb for the main game done with about 14 mins left now its jumped to 7 hours. Before turning PS4 off at about 1am was going to take 18 odd hours for both update and the game, so things did speed up for a while.

8. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Yeah mine quickened up, but then stalled again. My 3 gb Batman update took 24 hours on my 25mbps connection The main game still has an estimated 40 hours to go.

9. uncleclives

uncleclives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    20Mbps connection here at one point DriveClub was quoted to take 72 hours to download! Not very impressive from Sony but at least they have acknowledged the problem.

10. Alexandre77

Alexandre77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    had the same problem, i though it was my router problem, upgraded the firmware, still slow speed, then did a reset to the router, still slow, went to sleep, next day was good again :)

11. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    This a known issue? Was downloading rocket league at the weekend and at the start it was my normal download speed of 5.5Mbps.

Then half way through it decided it was going to take 15 hours to download the last few hundred megabytes. Went into the network connection test in settings and I basically had a speed of a few Kbps. Out of nowhere. Nothing else was using my connection at the time. Switched the PS4 on and off again and the speed did improve. But not fully.

Weird how it suddenly dropped for no reason.

12. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Weird one tonight, downloading the PS+ games and Stealth was going to take 3 hours and Lara Croft 10 hours. Log out and back in and Stealth took 4 minutes and Lara Croft is saying 20 mins.

13. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    Sometimes just going to the Downloads; pausing; wait 5 secs; and unpausing; will do that too.

I think it just rechecks the server connection, and something refreshes like load balancing (and it pushes you to a faster server), or it changes you from a "holding pattern" trickle speed to a proper speed.
    Always worth trying though.

14. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had this with the last ESO patch. I saw the 16.something Gbs, and expected another overnighter, but it was complete within 40 minutes!